Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

'04 Samsung HLN4365W 43" DLP TV. Fix or junk?

I'm leaning towards junk; but, thought I'd ask your opinion.

Someone I know asked me to fix the above mentioned Samsung TV. He claimed that someone gave it to his son and that it had a chewed up AC power cord. I normally don't like taking in stuff like this; but, I figured it might be some easy cash if all it needed was a new AC cord.

Of course, that would have been too easy for the AC cord to be all that was wrong with it. After replacing the chewed up power cord, the only action I get are blinking "LAMP" and "TEMPERATURE" LED's as soon as the set is plugged in.

My first thought is a bad lamp; but, I don't want to replace the lamp and there end up being more wrong with it. I think I remember reading somewhere that the color wheel is a high failure part in certain Samsung sets and given the fact that this TV is 8 years old, I don't want to get it going just to have it come back in a week with another failure.

So, can you think of any good reason why I should advise the customer to have this set fixed? I'm leaning towards telling him to spend his money on a new TV.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

I personally would not deal with a set like this unless I got it for free, and just wanted to play with it. I would not take a chance for a chargeable customer.

Modern LCD and Plasma is so much better than these old, antiquated and physically large sets.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

If I recall correctly, Temp and Lamp flashing together usually mean that the lamp door isn't shut (microswitch).

These samsungs usually work when the color wheel is broken, oddly enough, they just play black and white.

Edit: here's the LED sequence codes:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/Su...4&fm_seq=22532
Old 06-22-2012, 10:39 PM
"Book em Dano!"

If the lamp is bad, it's easy to tell. It will be broken inside the glass envelope. Reseat the lamp door. Sony's I know can be touchy with the doors. Sometimes they can produce a good picture with a failing color wheel, it will be a little noisy but failure is iminent.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:48 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

I would say it is not worth repairing at this point. As crtfool said, OK to tinker with for free but do not put any money into it. Even if it just needed a bulb, it is still a boxy 720p TV.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma
Old 06-23-2012, 12:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the information. I'll check the lamp door interlock and if that isn't the problem, I'm going to suggest that he use it for target practice.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

It was the lamp door not properly shut that was causing the first problem; but, I'm still not out of the woods. Now, the green "lamp" LED blinks and the system is trying to start up. Then, a relay clicks and the process repeats itself. According to the code list, this is an indication that the picture will appear in 15 seconds. In my case, the picture does not appear. I looked at the lamp and it visually looks fine; so, I think I'm going to wash my hands of the beast.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:30 PM
"Book em Dano!"

Some of those have bad caps on the main power board and/or inverter. They are fairly easy to get out and repair.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have seen the reboot loop (as I call it, heh) caused by bad ballasts, and also by bad color wheels. Usually not a broken color wheel, as I mentioned earlier, most Samsungs color wheel bearings get sloppy and the wheel contacts the edge and breaks. It still spins the hub and "thinks" it's working, and plays a BW picture. The "bad" color wheel I am taking about is something in the speed sensing circuit (I guess). It doesn't "see" it or cant control it or something. I have randomly thrown a new color wheel in a "rebooter" and had that fix the problem.

I agree though, not worth the aggravation. I Just tossed 4 of these that needed color wheels (broken wheels). I can't sell the complete working TV for what a color wheel costs.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:37 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

My brother had one of those Samsung DLP sets several years ago, and he would go through that same "reboot loop" process numerous times, then they replaced the whole optical engine under warranty. The problem came back after a while, though. On one visit, I opened up the set and tightened every connection I could find, then it worked fine for a while if I remember right. Later, the same or similar problems reappeared.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma
Old 06-25-2012, 08:07 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
I think I remember reading somewhere that the color wheel is a high failure part..
Not just in Samsung sets. A friend brought over a DLP set not sure if it was Mitsubishi or Samsung been several years, and the color wheel was broken in pieces. What a way to make a picture.

Arrows pointing where the missing piece should be...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg colorwheel2.jpg (57.3 KB, 62 views)
Old 06-26-2012, 11:57 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
So, can you think of any good reason why I should advise the customer to have this set fixed? I'm leaning towards telling him to spend his money on a new TV.

That's what I would do. I don't know much about DLP televisions, but I'm sure LCD and plasma flat panels make much better pictures. The latter are all electronic, whereas a DLP set still uses an electric motor (which wears out and becomes noisy over time) to spin a color wheel, to say nothing of using an expensive electric arc lamp as a light source. If you want to buy the set from the customer just to experiment with, OK, but I would not put any money into it. The other problems with DLP TVs are, as ChrisW6ATV explains in a later post, they are limited to just one screen resolution value (720p) and are very large and boxy, whereas today's flat screens are wafer-thin and can be placed on a table or stand almost anywhere. The images from flat screens are likely much better than DLPs as well, since modern flat panels are capable of reproducing images in resolution values from under 720p up to 1080i and beyond.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

I called the owner to tell him the bad news and he asked if I needed the TV for parts and I told him that I had no use for it and that it would be in my way; so, he's supposed to be picking it up in the next day or two. We'll see.....
Old 07-23-2012, 07:54 AM
Motorola Minion

Maybe kicking a dead horse here guys, Im getting a 7 year old Samsung 55" DLP set that made some chattering relay-type noise for a time before going "dead and stinky".

Not paying anything for it but I am willing to play around just to learn something before giving up. Im hoping its what Mstanton found and a few caps fix it.

I just wonder what the wife will say if I do fix it and haul it into our small TV room to replace the 27" Panasonic. "But honey, its 720p.....
Kids will like it Im sure.