Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Huge Stash of Tapes

Thought this was worth posting: last month I answered an ad on Craigslist for a bunch of VHS tapes. They are all things that were recorded off of TV, a good percentage of them are mislabled...and there are hundreds, if not thousands of them, according to the advertiser. They are free. I've been trying to get over there and grab at least some of them. Trouble is, Kim would kill me if I came home with a pickup load! I think they need to be gone by the first of the year. (I think it's an estate clean out) Any interest out there for something like this? I can forward contact info or???
Old 12-06-2010, 03:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

My Dad has nearly 10,000 VHS tapes, as he had a tape trading business in the 80s. It was only until recently that a lot of his rare stuff could not be found on any publically available format. Sad to say, but I would be afraid that most of it would have to get tossed if/when we ever have to make such a decision.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

The person who has them seems very friendly from our emails. Apparently it was their mother who did this; it became an obsession. They really don't want to send these to the landfill but I guess there has been zero interest. I don't know how far back they go. They're about 45 minutes from me, which is a little too far for me to sneak away.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Analogue is Awesome

SOUNDS LIKE A GOLDMINE!!!!!!

You should get over there STRAIGHT AWAY and pick them up! (All if you have a place to put them)

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
Old 12-15-2010, 10:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, Saturday the oppurtunity came. Kim had to be away for a few hours so I made arrangements to meet the family member who is clearing out the estate. Typical suburban home on a quiet street. The house was pretty cluttered since they have been busy cleaning it out and conducting yard sales. They were not lying about the volume of tapes. Some were downstairs, in cabinets and cardboard boxes, but most were in a spare bedroom upstairs. I toted boxes of tapes until my knees started to give out. (they have trouble with stairs after a while) I filled most of my pickup; this was probably about half or a little more than half of the total number they had. There is no way I could keep even what I took, so I spent a few days going through sorting them. Most are labeled but maybe 5% are in the wrong sleeves. (most have labels on both the tape and sleeve) Wide variety of shows: Seinfeld, Mad About You, Just Shoot Me, Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, Hollywood Squares, tons of History Channel stuff, tons of Biography, lots of PBS shows, 60 minutes, 20/20, lots of political stuff including years of both GOP & Dem conventions.

I didn't count how many tapes there were, or how many I kept. The keepers fill about 5 of those boxes that paper comes in. Mostly I pulled the older stuff, from the late 80s. There are some things which I've really been looking for, specifically The Pat Sajak Show and the ABC News series Our World. Indeed, among the stash I found the Our World covering the winter of '68, my favorite episode of the series. I had watched my copy probably a dozen times before the tape got destroyed some 15 years ago. Tuesday night I was able to sit down and watch it again...and that made the whole effort worthwhile! Also among the pile is the NBC News live coverage of the JFK assassination. I'd seen a chunk of it on YouTube but now I have it readily accesible, and easy to watch on any of the old sets.

There was zero interest here or on ARF. I did post it to freecycle and a gentleman is supposed to stop by sometime tomorrow to take what I didn't want. I am very tempted to grab the rest of the pile from the estate as there are bound to be more real treasures. It appears that what doesn't get grabbed may be turned in to some sort of art project.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Excellent

I hope there are alot of good 80s movies in the collection! (The breakfast club,etc)