Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Vintagekarma.org ??.........the domain is available......

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 04-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Administrator

This gives me a neat idea
Old 04-12-2011, 09:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

I looked at the new vacs at wallymart yesterday. It convinced me to visit Grainger Supply this morning and shell out $65 on a new motor for my 30-year-old Eureka canister (which sold for around $40 new.) Glad I did.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Fans. I love fans. I love restoring fans. But at least one of the fan forums is kinda a closed book and persnickety.

AUdubon5425: I did the same as you a couple of years ago: looked at the new vacuu-junk at WallyWorld and just fixed my old one.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUdubon5425 View Post
I looked at the new vacs at wallymart yesterday. It convinced me to visit Grainger Supply this morning and shell out $65 on a new motor for my 30-year-old Eureka canister (which sold for around $40 new.) Glad I did.
You didn't look at the right dealer. If you want a quality product, you have to go to a store that supplies equipment to professional cleaning firms. I picked a Nilfisk Euroclean canister vac, intended for hospitals and other areas, where a quiet machine is desired. The only negative is the bags are a little pricy. $20.00 at SVDP.
Audiokarma
Old 04-13-2011, 10:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Regarding forum ideas, I have hung out a little at the vacuum/washing machine forums but felt out of place there. Like lots of folks here, I have a very wide array of interests.

Anybody want a conversion kit for their older upright Eureka? Lets you hook up a hose, included, along with various tools. Got two of them, not sure which models they fit. Hate to toss them.

Went on a cruise when we got married-most of the power onboard that Finnish built ship was 220. The vacs they used looked like standard issue Hoovers but were much quieter. Is that a benefit of running on 220?
Old 04-14-2011, 05:55 AM
Administrator

Which forums do you speak of? I'm curious.....

I never felt at home at any of the snobby choices that were audio forums back in 2001. That led me to create AudioKarma in 2002....worked out pretty well . That said, you never know.....
Old 04-14-2011, 10:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

http://www.automaticwasher.org/
There is a link on there for their sister site, vacuumland. I mostly joined there because I had a lot of vintage parts that I found in a shop I was cleaning out. I really couldn't find much interest on there, aside from a lot of people looking for specific rare parts. "Do you have a mixer valve gasket for a '52 Easy washer, the early version with the beveled inset? If it is not pliable, don't bother writing back...", that kinda thing. Heck, I have a big box of 50s parts, cheap! Do you want 'em? Send me 5 bucks & postage! Finally did get rid of them, mostly through other venues. Not really bad folks on those sites, but there is an underlying, um, trait that, um, seems to be prevalent amongst the members! (I think that's why I felt like an outcast!)
Old 04-15-2011, 06:24 AM
Administrator

Old car clubs tend to get the same way. There's always a prominent member or two that have had their cars since the imprisonment of St. Paul, and a few members try to kiss up to them to get first dibs on their treasure trove of stuff. They remind me of Dwight from "The Office"
Old 04-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Procrastination Expert

LOL VW clubs must be different, everyone's cars are all loosing value at about the same rate and there is a genuine knowledge base wanting to help new members.
Audiokarma
Old 04-15-2011, 12:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
There is a link on there for their sister site, vacuumland. I mostly joined there because I had a lot of vintage parts that I found in a shop I was cleaning out. I really couldn't find much interest on there, aside from a lot of people looking for specific rare parts. "Do you have a mixer valve gasket for a '52 Easy washer, the early version with the beveled inset? If it is not pliable, don't bother writing back...", that kinda thing. Heck, I have a big box of 50s parts, cheap! Do you want 'em? Send me 5 bucks & postage! Finally did get rid of them, mostly through other venues. Not really bad folks on those sites, but there is an underlying, um, trait that, um, seems to be prevalent amongst the members! (I think that's why I felt like an outcast!)

I just checked out the links to the two sites,and boy you sure weren't kidding
about the "prevalent underlying theme" especially on the vacuum land site!
It's pretty in your face.
That is definitely off putting,and alienates people who don't share their "trait",which is sad because there is a lot of info there.

Last edited by GeorgeJetson; 04-16-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Eh, whatever they can do, we can do better
Old 04-15-2011, 10:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
There is a link on there for their sister site, vacuumland. I mostly joined there because I had a lot of vintage parts that I found in a shop I was cleaning out. I really couldn't find much interest on there, aside from a lot of people looking for specific rare parts. "Do you have a mixer valve gasket for a '52 Easy washer, the early version with the beveled inset? If it is not pliable, don't bother writing back...", that kinda thing. Heck, I have a big box of 50s parts, cheap! Do you want 'em? Send me 5 bucks & postage!
No kidding! But that's really not surprising considering:

Quote:
Not really bad folks on those sites, but there is an underlying, um, trait that, um, seems to be prevalent amongst the members! (I think that's why I felt like an outcast!)
Now I'll say there are some damn impressive collections and displays on that site. What I couldn't get was many references in the forums to what appeared to be vacuum cleaner fetishes in their childhood. Then I read a copy of their newsletter and figured it all out.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Procrastination Expert

They have a newsletter? I didn't see it.

The 1995 style forums make it hard to read.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

While exploring the links to those two sites yesterday I came across one of the vacuum cleaner threads with a photo of someone wearing a suit he made from Kirby vacuum bags!

There are some pretty bizarre statements from members,one guy admits he likes to sniff old vacuum cleaner bags full of dirt...(shudder)

Last edited by GeorgeJetson; 04-16-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Audiokarma