Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-24-2004, 08:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

...and the first program you saw in color was...???

my first memory of color tv was in the mid 60s at an electronics expo....a wall of tv sets (probably roundies but I cannot remember) with "The Flinstones" in glorious NTSC color ...LOL
Old 08-24-2004, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Anthony, my "antique" NTSC, non HDTV, (circa 1990) Sony XBR (best freaking picture I've ever seen on a regular TV) has something in the service menu (accessed by pressing a hidden button on power-up) that allows you to move the clock (i'm pretty sure) yours prolly does too. Be careful tho, change the wrong thing an blooie, you can't see the picture any more to change it back!

Eric

Quote:
Originally posted by heathkit tv
My late model Sony Wega displays the time in the lower right corner, only to be obfuscated by many station's logo/watermark. As near as I can figure, there's no way for me to move the time to another location (unlike my old Heathkit set!)
Old 08-24-2004, 10:59 PM
heathkit tv

Thanks Eric....seems we've both watched this movie before:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...ight=sony+menu

Anthony
Old 08-25-2004, 12:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

I remember when the local stations started posting time & temperature in the corner, and I thought it was great idea. Not crazy about what is used now, but then I don't spend much time watching tv these days.

Veg, I remember when 24 first started, it was great, played lots of shows from the 60s. A real breath of fresh air, but it didn't last long before it went all shopping.

Big Dave, I missed Match Game 98-glad I did! I cannot imagine any scenerio where it would be any good! The original is hard to beat. Gene Rayburn was perfect for the part.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:53 PM
The Goodbye Look

One thing about TV I like much better now,is the info in the top left hand corner of a football or baseball game telling me the score,the inning,whose on base,etc.I used to hate coming back from the bathroom and waiting till the end of the inning just to find out the score.And I know its not "retro correct" to say it,but it makes the game more enjoyable knowing where Priest Holmes has to run to get that first down,instead of waiting for the stripes to run out with the chains.
Audiokarma
Old 08-25-2004, 01:57 PM
The Goodbye Look

...........And while I'm at it,do we REALLY prefer seeing third rate prints of old movies cut to shreds looking like 16mm prints that were shown at my Junior High School before channel 9 decided to show it at 2AM with commercial breaks every 5.4 minutes?
TCM and AMC baby!
Jimmy
Old 08-25-2004, 01:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-08-2021 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by andy
There had to have been better stuff on TV than Green Acres, I love Lucy and Mr Ed.
Yes, like "My Mother The Car"
Old 08-25-2004, 07:39 PM
jasonlava

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric H
Yes, like "My Mother The Car"
and Ren & Stimpy, Beavis & Butthead, Animaniacs, anything by Tex Avery, The Brady Bunch, Hee Haw, Speed Racer, The Jetsons, The Dukes of Hazzard, to name a few.

Well, that's my list, of course, I'm a sicko.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:39 PM
Dead from the neck up

More on classic game shows (when they were good).

Match Game 7x/PM: A ture classic. It's where I heard Charles Nelson Reilly say "made doo-doo" as an answer.

Match Game (NBC, original version) Two teams of a celebrity and two contestants. Content was lame compared to the CBS version. I have seen two episodes and the scoring system was different. Only about nine episodes are known to have survived.

Password: Simple as:
CELEBRITY: "bull"
CONTESTANT: "shit"

Password is one of the few shows where revivals were better than the original. Only CBS color and primetime episodes survive (BW daytime are gone), All but a few of the ABC version are gone. Password Plus and Super Password are both completely intact. If done right (no jackass comedian or prettyboy as host with unknown "celebrities"), Password could be successful again.

The Peter Marshall version of The Hollywood Squares was the only good version, and lots of presumably destroyed tapes have been found . GSN aired them, then dropped them (morons).

It's no wonder why GSN ran The Newlywed Game 26 times a day. Most of the classics are gone, as in erased.

At least we have our memories of the good ones, no thanks to GSN.

Now, to unhijack the thread (I hope), if networks, producers and writers would learn to program intelligently (yeah, right), the audience will find it. Wonder how Ren and Stimpy would look on a roundie.
Audiokarma
Old 08-25-2004, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Oh yeah, heh, heh, now I remember

Quote:
Originally posted by heathkit tv
Thanks Eric....seems we've both watched this movie before:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...ight=sony+menu

Anthony
Old 08-26-2004, 07:19 AM
jasonlava

Ren and stimpy on a roundie

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dave
Wonder how Ren and Stimpy would look on a roundie.
Well, those of you with Roundies can wait until Oct. 12th when the 1st and 2nd season come out on DVD.

IMHO it should look great on a color roundie. I was watching my Beavis and Butthead DVDs the other day and I was thinking it would look cool on a roundie.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:29 PM
Tim Tress

Yes, let's see some "Outer Limits" shows again; I can still remember watching the very first episode "The Galaxy Being" , back in 1963!! Does anyone remember the episode called "It Crawled Out Of The Woodwork"?

Another great scary show from the old days was "One Step Beyond"; some of them are out on DVD now.

As recently as the 1980s, some TV stations were still running 16mm film on the air.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by bgadow
WBFF Baltimore, now Fox but then independent, was popular with kids during the week-Captain Chesapeake played cartoons through at least the 80s, I still have my membership card from his show. They would actually run ads for CBS Saturday morning on WBFF!
Made sense! CBS had the best Saturday programs, and they could pick them up later in return, I'll bet.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'm bringing back another old thread early this morning. I couldn't agree more with most of the stuff said here, especially about late night TV (nothing but infomercials). Which is why I've been reading old posts here instead.

But we do have a good independent uhf station down here in LA - ch56 (until I read this I didn't know how good I had it, I thought they were more common)
During the day it shows old detective-type shows: Matlock, Rockford, Perry Mason, Kojak, Hawaii-5-O, etc.. and at night: the Alfred Hitchcock Hour, followed by the Twilight Zone (the original), nothing but infomercials after 10PM, and on most of the weekend though.

But AM radio here stinks, there used to be a station that I really liked that played all 50s music during the day and old radio shows at night, but that's gone now.

Last edited by Adam; 06-21-2006 at 07:53 AM.
Audiokarma