Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:07 PM
TheUniversalDave1

B&k 1077

Got this at the radio club today for the Best Price. It's in okay shape, but the sides are all rusted, and the yoke is falling apart. I plugged it into the variac and brought it up real slow, but the magic smoke still managed to escape. It was pulling over an amp at 60 volts. I'll replace the lytics maybe next week. I only have one slide. It has all the original Dynascan tubes except the photo multiplier tube, which is an RCA. The CRT tests very strong. At first, it tested dead, but after 10 minutes, it started waking up.

Last edited by TUD1; 03-12-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:50 PM
David Thomas

Good Lord, I haven't seen one of those in years. I had one, and a set of the transparent slides to make the test patterns with. An odd piece of test equipment, that's for sure. As I remember, it wasn't used much.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:57 PM
M is for Memory

They are super useful for diagnosing, Sweep, and "no signal" problems. Mine gets used every few sets.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-30-2016, 11:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

A 1077 is very handy in some situations. This 1077B article has a schematic and voltage chart, plus scans of the standard slides:

http://antiqueradio.org/BK1077BTelevisionAnalyst.htm

Hope you get yours working correctly!

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 08-01-2016, 12:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a 1076, also find it handy for signal injection. I found a "recapped but does not work now" problem with it by injecting the composite video. Also as mentioned handy for checking yokes/flys (has a test for that) and generating sweep signals to power up horz and vert sweep circuits.

Beware of shot gunned recappers, esp with point to point circuits (easier to mess up than PCB stuff where you cant really wire it up wrong only use wrong values or polariites).
Audiokarma
Old 08-01-2016, 01:03 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
I have a 1076, also find it handy for signal injection. I found a "recapped but does not work now" problem with it by injecting the composite video. Also as mentioned handy for checking yokes/flys (has a test for that) and generating sweep signals to power up horz and vert sweep circuits.

Beware of shot gunned recappers, esp with point to point circuits (easier to mess up than PCB stuff where you cant really wire it up wrong only use wrong values or polariites).
Some PCBs do have spare lead holes in bad places...I've caught myself almost doing that once or twice...

Old 08-01-2016, 05:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have seen that where caps have axial or radial holes. Still a lot harder than term strips. That one really had me going. Part of the problem was he said it worked (well yea if you put about 1v RF in at the tuner, you could barely get something that looked like a pic on the CRT). 1076/77 are fun to play with, make shadow puppets!
Old 08-01-2016, 06:08 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
1076/77 are fun to play with, make shadow puppets!
Fun, but don't do it under florescent, sunlight, and possibly other light sources. IIRC the photomult pickup tube (which ain't common or cheap) is easily damaged by UV produced by florescent lighting (and other sources). My bench is lit by florescents so I try to never have the lid open with the B+ running.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:26 PM
Technohippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Fun, but don't do it under florescent, sunlight, and possibly other light sources. IIRC the photomult pickup tube (which ain't common or cheap) is easily damaged by UV produced by florescent lighting (and other sources).
Do you have a source for this info? Bright light sources in general aren't good for PMTs, as they cause permanently increased dark current and noise output, particularly in very high gain/low light types (which the one in a TV analyst isn't). But in the specific case of the TV analysts, other than a few seconds recovery time after closing the lid, I have never noticed anything in the way of permanent effects. As far as UV goes, the P16 phosphor used in the analyst CRT is largely a UV source, with only a dim output in the purple end of the visible spectrum.

The PMT used in the TV analyst is a 931A type, by far the most common and cheapest PMT available. NOS ones are all over eBay and hamfests for very cheap prices:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-NOS-GL-931...-/371693720845
Old 08-01-2016, 06:46 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

When I worked on the CBS/Motorola EVR video player, we noticed that the Hamamatsu PMTs were less noisy than the RCAs, but would become equally noisy if exposed to fluorescent lighting.

I do not know or recall if the output decreased and the extra noise came due to turning up the dynode voltages.

I do not know if they recovered after some time, as we did not re-use the degraded ones and carefully replaced them with new PMTs in a relatively dark room. The players were demo units, so we wanted to cherry pick the least-noisy units.

I speculated that the Hamamatsu PMTS were assembled and packaged in a dim environment and the RCAs came "pre-exposed," but I have no actual knowledge of that. Photoemissive materials are so open to degradation that it could easily have been a difference in processing, not light exposure at the factory.
Audiokarma
Old 08-01-2016, 07:47 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2IXK View Post
Do you have a source for this info? Bright light sources in general aren't good for PMTs, as they cause permanently increased dark current and noise output, particularly in very high gain/low light types (which the one in a TV analyst isn't). But in the specific case of the TV analysts, other than a few seconds recovery time after closing the lid, I have never noticed anything in the way of permanent effects. As far as UV goes, the P16 phosphor used in the analyst CRT is largely a UV source, with only a dim output in the purple end of the visible spectrum.

The PMT used in the TV analyst is a 931A type, by far the most common and cheapest PMT available. NOS ones are all over eBay and hamfests for very cheap prices:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-NOS-GL-931...-/371693720845
Source is Videokarma. Read it in another thread on the 1077/76/75 family, and have observed those words of caution ever since.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

1076 and 1076B use different pickup tubes

The 931 is used in the original 1076. The new 1076B uses a different tube, has more pins. Not interchangeable. I have one of each. I suspect the 1077 uses the newer tube.
The newer tube produces a sharper image.
Be careful when removing the tubes as the keyway sometimes breaks off allowing incorrect insertion.

Last edited by kf4rca; 08-02-2016 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Checked my units and

one has a 4422 and the other has the 931. Both are 11 pin tubes and from what I've read, they should be interchangeable.
The 1076B is distinguishable by the 3 pos'n audio switch and the RCA jack on the back for external audio.
Believe some of these units were marketed for the hotel/motel industry so they could display messages over their MATV system.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:26 PM
Technohippie

The 4422 is one of RCA's "mystery" types in the 4000 series. Many of these had little or no published data available, being modified or selected versions of standard types, usually for sale to a single customer.

I have access to a fair number of internal RCA tube division documents (including a bunch of the 4000 series types) and a shelf full of tube databooks, but nothing on the 4422. B&K themselves suggested the use of the 931A as a replacement type, rather than offering the 4422 as a replacement part. This would lead me to believe that it may have been an "off-spec" 931A that was "good enough" for the intended application (which isn't all that demanding compared to most PMT applications in scientific instruments and such) , and was sold to B&K at a discount. Not all "selected" tubes were "better" than their prototypes, and this MAY be one of those cases.

Only a former engineer from RCA or B&K would be able to give the definitive answer on this one, I'm afraid...

Last edited by N2IXK; 08-02-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

You are correct.

I looked at my RCA Photomultiplier Handbook (ca. 1980) and there is no listing for the 4422. There are other 4000 number tubes all classified for imaging purposes.
There are two 931 tubes listed- an A and a B version. The difference is the formula for the photo-conductive surface.