Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-26-2005, 08:16 PM
Upper-middle fi

Oscilloscope and stuff- What the heck do I do with this?!

Hi Gang,

I was checking Craig's list and came across an ad for old test equipment for $10. A phone call and $20 minutes later, it's sitting on my dining room table. Yeah, my wife is pretty excited too.

So, uh, what the heck do I do with this stuff?! It just looked too cool not to get it!

The one looks like a simple multi meter. But it only has one lead coming out. I'm guessing the other one just came off. There is a hole where it looks like it's suposed to be. Lots of leads and probes included in this deal.

The little one looks to be a Television signal generator. I work at a TV station, so I'm a little familiar with that. Not sure how to make it work though.

The big one is the Oscilloscope. I have no idea what to do with it, but it sure looks cool! Can I make it do something?

Thanks,

Ed Cushing
Old 02-26-2005, 09:35 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Ryan beat me to what I was gonna say, especially about the old 'scope... You might wanna bring it up on a variac just to be safe...If it works, so much the better. You can play "Outer Limits" w/it for awhile-"There is nothing wrong with your television set..We are controlling the Horizontal. We are controlling the Vertical....."-Sandy G.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:40 PM
Upper-middle fi

Thanks Folks,

You're right about the VOM. It's a CONAR. The scope is a CONAR too. I plugged it in, but nothing happened. I let it sit for a bit, but the nothingness didn't change any. I'll open up the VOM tomorrow and see if I can get it working. I'd love to use it. It's super cool, and I don't have a decent Ohm meter.

I plugged in the signal generator too, but not sure what to do with it. It has what looks like antenna wire with clips on it for output. So I assume it's creating RF. What channel should I tune to to try to find the signal?

Well, its' all cool. Don't know if any of it does anything, but it's all cool!

Ed
Old 02-26-2005, 11:32 PM
Upper-middle fi

There are two very old batteries in the VOM- a 9V and a C cell. Both are way beyond providing any power. I believe I found where the missing lead should attach as well, but I may take a pic and run it by you guys before I start soldering.

Thanks for the tips on the scope Ryan. I tried as you suggested, but alas, still nothing. I opened it up as well hoping there would be a blown fuse or something. Unfortunately not.

I really appreciate your offer to fix it! I may take you up on it, but I really have no use for a working scope- at least none that I know of. What the heck do you use them for anyhow? Are there any cool tests or experiments I could do with it? I have a 9 year old son, and he and I love to tinker together. I really just bought it because it was cool looking old gear that I thought we'd have fun playing with.

Thanks,

Ed