Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:27 AM
Motorola Minion

I agree that Zoom-spout is necessary in every record player toolkit. 3 in 1 type and sewing machine seems like appropriate vintage stuff to use BUT it is generally sloppy and attracts dirt.

I used to HATE doing record changers during the 80s. I was a lot happier working on the carry-in 9" to 20" TVs. The road tech pulled the changers from consoles and brought back to the shop for the bench toads. as you can guess, peak season was October-December

It was like taking out the trash and our service manager had a no-fail 8-step method we used on BSR, Magnavox and RCA units pulled from consoles and brought back to the shop by the road tech. "Just do it" I was often told when I verified it was operating correctly, already looking for a new stylus (often in vain) in the dusty parts drawers.

Lubriplate or white lithium grease ( aka GC's Phono lube) is mandatory for all sliding parts. Go in ONCE with your best stuff and you'll own the repair. Just do it all, forgetting anything will make you repeat those annoying processes.

Isopropyl alcohol and alternately, lacquer thinner, Q-tips and shop towels are all that is needed to clean off dirt-encrusted grease. it also does a great job on motor capstan "stepped shafts" plus the inside of the platter along idler track

Rubber-Renu is highly reactive oil of wintergreen and seems to work on most but NOT ALL idler pulleys to remove glaze. Only slightly more effective than IPA. If the pulley has deep fissures in the rubber, it probably overheated when the player motor was left on when it stalled, basically finishing off any chances for a lasting revival.

Bottoms-up work first

1- Mandatory motor maintenance per Olorino in post #22 - mark positions of every nut, 6-32 screw, washer, spacer and bearing bracket before you take ANYTHING apart.

2- Clean the changing mechanism with IPA and shop towels, and yes, you must take cycle gear-wheels off shafts or sliders out completely. Sliders on V-M players are tricky but you will not be successful without a thorough disassembly - cleaning and lube. trip levers that slide must be cleaned and having another player along side to compare whats out of place or bent cannot be understated.

Topside last

1- Pull off the platter. Most are easy but on BSR's - spindle grease turns into JB weld, and must be soaked with lacquer thinner or worse to get it loose, spin-able and removable. I have yet to try "weasel piss" (WD40 or PB blaster) as it is hard to pinpoint.

2- Take idler pulley off and give it the business with IPA and oil the shaft/spring washers. Check alignment with the motor shaft thru all speed settings. If it does not land in the middle of a step, motor mount grommets are flat/gone OR if solid, it may be improper idle shaft washer placement.

3- Move center pin in/out, up and down while dousing with IPA to get ALL the crud out that causes it to drop two records. The tiniest bit of oil is all this part needs.

4- Platter spindle bearing cage and washers need a thorough soaking and de-gumming, here we had success with lacquer thinner also. Pay attention to sandwiching the bearing cage between TWO thin washers. They like to stick and drop off during disassembly. To keep from hunting parts like those washers and spindle balls that bounce off the bench, do your disassembling in a dishwashing tub or big cafeteria tray to catch anything that cuts loose.

5- The grand finale included checking speed with strobe disc under the super-helpful 8-foot fluorescent lamps operating on uber-flicker magnetic ballasts. You also had to try all record sizes and verify it worked on the shop 45 adapters, run through all cycles and at 78 (or 45) rpm to distribute all the oil and exercise every operation.

It always worked, no call backs, all the more reason to love Magnavox and RCA changers in particular. I had to re-learn the whole process for Voice-of-Music changers, like what almost all my Motorola and Zenith tube models use.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 08-03-2018 at 12:05 PM. Reason: refined
Old 08-03-2018, 04:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've tried to post this somewhere accessible and have received no response...

http://videokarma.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=18

It is all scanned and ready. And big.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:34 PM
M is for Memory

I'd like to read that.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-03-2018, 07:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

And I'd like to post it. It's too big without special dispensation.
Also tried at the digital document section of AK, and got no response.
I can send a link, but I'd prefer it not be 'in the wild'.