Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-16-2020, 05:24 AM
Retired Batwings Tech

A weird B&K 467 failure

Recently had to repair my 467 after spending the past 15 years in storage, both the red and blue meters failed due to the negative wire coming unsoldered from the little lug inside of the meter cases themselves. Yeah of all the failures this one takes the cake!

I spent 4hrs replacing capacitors and repairing the meters then calibrated and wrote out a G-1 voltage correction chart as the meter is a good 10 volts lower than reality.

The acid test was with the 25BP22 in my Magnavox T940 Astro Sonic and found everything to be right down the middle, I compared it with my single meter 466 and Heathkit 5230 and they're all saying the same. A 12CNP4 B&W tube was used as a control and showed the same readings on all.

Another 467 is again alive and well, FYI one can sub 470uf caps for the 220uf caps used to smooth out the meters, the twitch is normal and I call that the heartbeat of the 467.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:43 AM
Motorola Minion

I have a B-K 466 and 467 that I got when Harrisburg Radio Lab closed exactly 6 years ago. Neither work, so a B-K 445 and Heathkit 5230 are what I use.

Both these newer (?) B-K units seem to be in need of critical troubleshooting and maintenance. I'm really not sure where to start, the PC boards looked to need re soldering from all the rough handling it went through.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:50 AM
Retired Batwings Tech

Just like your tagline about the resistors they're a problem in the 467's Do you have a schematic for the 467? If not I can shoot a full resolution picture and post it here, they're not complex despite the mux sampling but more difficult to actually do anything with the pc board.

Let me know if you need the schematic