Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-01-2005, 07:17 AM
hotrod54chevy

Who knows about Zenith Royal R TVs?

ok,i may have found a television that's WORKING (has picture but no sound) that i've been able to talk my girlfriend into letting me get.but how hard are these things to work on?if i could get it working,that'd be great for me.but i havent been able to get a look at it yet,so if i cant get it working, would anyone be interested in the chassis? thanks in advance for your help.i'll try to post a picture.
-frank
Old 02-01-2005, 08:13 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Could be something as simple as the speaker is unplugged. A number of these old guys had a speaker jack to disconnect the speaker & remove the chassis for easier servicing.-Sandy G.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:20 AM
hotrod54chevy

yeah,i was thinkin that,also.it's on ebay and the guy sellin it even has pictures of the chassis. here's the URL http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...747314605&rd=1
like i said,i'm going to try to fix this thing and put it in my bed room,but i cant get it working,i'll be happy to sell/trade the chassis with someone and just stick in a new set as a last option.but like i was asking,does anyone know how these sets are to work on?complex?easy?thanks for your help,sandy and anyone else who feels like helping
-frank
Old 02-01-2005, 08:34 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Frank- No disrespect intended, but I would STRONGLY suggest, unless you know what you're doing, let somebody who has worked on old TVs look at this old guy. At the very least, I'd say you're looking at a TOTAL re-cap job, and quite a few of the resistors as well. You're prolly gonna have a couple of sick/weak tubes, but the deal-maker-or killer-is gonna be the CRT. If it's good, you're prolly gonna be al right, but if it's a dud,well.... If you were in E. Tennessee, & it was, too,I'd say no problem, we could load 'er up & take it to Terry DeWick. I dunno, man, it DOES look very nice in the pics....-Sandy G.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:40 AM
On Land

I recently threw out a Zenith chassis similar to that one... I think it said 19K** on the back instead of 19R**. I think mine didn't use a power transformer. I pulled a few parts from it... seemed it was pretty easy to get to components underneath.

If if already gets a picture, then you've got most of the battle won already. Just start changing caps and the picture will likely get better. But, Sandy is right... unless you're used to dealing with stuff like this, it's best to have someone there with you that has worked on these old sets. Yes, they are far simpler than modern sets, but these old sets will knock you on your can.

If it's only needing new caps and a few toobs, those items are readily available from several sources on the internet. You might even have an industrial electronics parts house in town that stocks some of it.

Definately a nice looking set!

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Audiokarma
Old 02-01-2005, 10:24 PM
hotrod54chevy

ok,it looks like i'll be getting this set..now,like i've stated before,i'm willing to try to get it going,but if not,is there ANYONE who'd like the chassis?i know there's probably someone on here who'd like to give it a good home and i'm kinda afraid of frying it if i try to fix it myself (which isnt likely because i'll have help before i tinker with it) so i'm just curious right now if anyone would like the chassis or not.thanks for all your help,guys
-frank
Old 02-02-2005, 06:22 AM
Administrator

That's a 1953 model if I recall. I have the Zenith factory service lit on that set if you want it.