Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
The Sears set you're referring to was probably the Toshiba set, that used the 15" rectangular CRT with the big roundie type electron gun.
It was quite a novelty to see that big neck on a smaller rectangular CRT.
I've always been curious about these sets, yet there is close to zero information out there about them.

It would almost seem like Toshiba developed the first commercially viable rectangular color CRT. I know Westinghouse (unsuccessfully) tried to introduce one in the late '50s, and then there was Motorola's version that came out c. 1963 but was also plagued with problems. Based on what little I can find about them, these 15" Toshiba/Sears sets seemed to be fairly good performers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sears5170-2.jpg (137.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 08-18-2017, 04:48 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I kinda thought that back in the early days Sears'/Toshiba's reach exceeded their grasp-But I bought a 9" Sears color set offa Ebay About 10 yrs back that was/is as good as anybody else's. It has a plastic cabinet that kinda reminds you of a toadstool. Other than the cabinet having a yellowish tinge, , there's nothing wrong w/it.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:51 PM
I like....big sparks!!

I was given one of those Sears/Toshiba sets a few years ago. Scrapped it out & got a bunch of terminal strips and a bunch of good tubes for my efforts.

Ham shack...AM side: Knight-Kit T-60, RME-45
Vintage SSB side: National 200
Modern SSB: Kenwood TS-180S
MFJ tuner, 130' dipole
Old 08-19-2017, 09:57 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtvman View Post
I still say the entire tv development scenario would make a great Ken Burns series on PB S. Starting the Philo Farnsworth getting screwed by Gen. Sarnoff. and then the huge battle for color pitting two of the giants William S. Paley vs. Gen David Sarnoff. And neither of them were ready to back down from the fight. Sarnoff won because of the sheer amount of assets at his disposal.
Would be interesting, then again 25 years ago, Ken Burns did a PBS program "Empire of the Air" about Lee DeForest, Edwin Howard Armstrong and David Sarnoff about radio. Come to think of it, like Farnsworth, as we all know, Sarnoff screwed Armstrong too. Too bad Farnsworth and Armstrong didn't get together and doubleteam Sarnoff but Sarnoff was so powerful, it might not have mattered.

I think the best irony of it all happened on 9/11 in 2001 is when the World Trade Center was attacked and the buildings fell down, WNBC-TV, a product of David Sarnoff, had to put up an emergency antenna and transmitter at Armstrong's FM tower at the Palisades in New Jersey. I could see both of them somewhere in the Afterlife where Armstrong says to Sarnoff, "looks like you do need MY help now!" :p Looks like Armstrong got the last word finally.