Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Rca model 54-45 oscilloscope for sale

This is an early 1960s RCA vacuum tube oscilloscope specifically designed for radio and television repairmen. It is really compact and in great shape cosmetically and electronically with the exception of a broken on-off switch which stays on. $40 plus shipping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scope_face_on2.jpg (6.3 KB, 28 views)
Old 02-21-2012, 10:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

That looks a lot like an EICO unit. But then, most of those units were similar.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

I am looking at a schematic diagram of that unit. I downloaded the manual just for fun. Apparently that was a kit supplied to students at RCA Institutes, a correspondence school for aspiring TV technicians.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:14 PM
Workin' Late Again

I'm pretty sure EICO supplied these as kits for RCA. I saw one of these on ebay recently and it had EICO branded tubes inside as well as an EICO probe, yet it was clearly identified as RCA on the front panel.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Indeed I had to do a little research to figure out what I actually have in order to get setup and use instructions. Supposedly both the Eico and RcA units are very similar in appearance, but quite a bit different in function. It didn't take me long to find out that the Eico user manual was leading me in the wrong direction. The function knobs look the same, but perform different functions. Once I got the RCA manual things made more sense. Even my asst. professor who has been around long enough to be at least familiar with older equipment showed doubt that it was even an oscilloscope before I got the manual. That was because there is no volts per division selection or really a time per division as we know it today, thus one might deduce that there would be no way to use the scope to measure voltage and time values. There actually is a way to do this with calibration based on reference voltages to the best of my knowledge. I have not spent a lot of time with the scope as I am more used to the newer methods. I need a more modern scope if anyone has one to trade or sell. Right now I have a digital job on loan from the college and I don't really like it a lot. I don't like anything digital frankly.
Audiokarma
Old 02-23-2012, 01:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes you are hitting both ends of the 'scope spectrum and you need to get closer to the middle. I am happy with my Tektronix 453. I have an extra HP but it's too heavy to ship.

You can make a calibrator for that 'scope voltage wise but time wise is another story, since the sweep isn't linear. It's exponential so the waves crowd near the right edge and there is no calibration that would work across the entire screen. And the speed control is probably calibrated in sweeps per second, not useful.