Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-20-2021, 08:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wilcox- Gay recording 6B30 trouble with phonograph

I pick this recordio 6B30 up at a yard sale it’s in great shape
Replace all capacitor and now the radio is working great coming in loud and clear but I don’t know much about photograph I’d like to get the photograph working the table turns no sound coming out of the speaker
I’m wondering if the needle and cartridge or bad and how to check them I will attach the photo of my Cartridge.
appreciate all the help
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 72EFD6F4-4ACD-4B7B-A9FC-458098C8381F.jpg (64.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 11-20-2021, 10:33 PM
M is for Memory

If you have a working amp with phono input or line input you could connect it to test it, but odds are the cartridge is shot.

I've owned probably 30 phonos with those crystal cartridges and only 4 had usable carts.
The Rochelle salt piezoelectric crystals that form the heart of the cartridge are suceptible to disintegrate when exposed to moisturize and or significant changes in humidity. The ceramic cartridges that replaced them in the 50s were a major step forward.

It's possible to rebuild them with new Rochelle salt or the piezoelectric element for a modern buzzer (haven't had success with either method), west tech services will do a rebuild for something like $40.
What I do is go to eBay and buy those Chuo Denshi cartridges that new production Crosley phonos use (you can get them for $1.50 a piece) and either fabricate a metal mounting strap from VERY thin sheet steel or if I'm feeling lazy I'll cut a nice square block out of large eraser the right size that allows me to glue the block to the cart, then glue that into the arm so the needle is where I want it relative to the arm.

BTW if this recordio has a second arm for recording there's more than 50-50 odds that it's crystal too and just as dead. That one you will need west tech to rebuild since I don't think any replacement is available.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-21-2021, 05:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

My amp seems to be working and I can’t seem to find that Chuo Denshi cartridges on eBay for $1.50 each you mentioned do you know what the number is?
Thanks for your help