Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-08-2018, 05:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Philco Predicta model 4744

Every few years I search for this item, and have never had anyone prove that any exist.

Does anyone have a Philco Predicta model 4744 or any pictures to prove any were made? I have had several people suggest they had seen them in the past, but never any proof of their existence.

So I'm asking again, do (did) they really exist other than the artwork in the Philco flyers?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Philco 4744.jpg (94.1 KB, 217 views)
Old 11-11-2019, 10:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

It's been a year. Anyone ever seen one?
Old 11-11-2019, 07:47 PM
Workin' Late Again

Haven't seen one, but is that picture actually cropped from a Philco ad, or is the Mastercraft Collection some other companies concept?
Old 11-11-2019, 07:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
Haven't seen one, but is that picture actually cropped from a Philco ad, or is the Mastercraft Collection some other companies concept?
Out of a 1960 Philco brochure.

And from a Philco model catalog sheet.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1960-Philco-Brochure3.jpg (64.9 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 75264842_2995576160470193_5215449663083118592_n.jpg (65.0 KB, 138 views)
Old 11-11-2019, 10:59 PM
Workin' Late Again

Huh. Well it's interesting that the other two models from that brochure are in the Sams index, but I can't find a 4744. Based on that alone I'd say your assumption is pretty sound that they never went into production. If nothing else there would of been Philco factory service documentation with that model listed.
Audiokarma
Old 11-12-2019, 02:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

There are a few other Philco sets from that era that nobody has ever seen. They appeared in the catalog (actually the same one posted above). I've seen speculation (and agree) that they were mockups intended to gauge customer interest; if enough people wanted to order them they'd build some.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Some guy I met at the ETF Convention this year was in the process of making one of those TV's. I forgot his name. Maybe he'll chime in.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:38 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Or..... Were they possibly "Export" or "Offshore" models ? Seems like I've seen-Prolly here- that some US electronics outfits did a pretty good business in other countries, typically in Central & South America...
Old 11-13-2019, 08:35 AM
M is for Memory

The table it's built in to looks like fairly run of the mill office furniture of the day...I could see an interested party making one out of a debutante and a table today to have one....

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-18-2019, 10:56 PM
RCAGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigott View Post
Some guy I met at the ETF Convention this year was in the process of making one of those TV's. I forgot his name. Maybe he'll chime in.
Crist — that would be ME! Haven’t gotten too far but am interested in a project to create one!

Dave Arland
Audiokarma
Old 12-19-2019, 12:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAGuy View Post
Crist — that would be ME! Haven’t gotten too far but am interested in a project to create one!

Dave Arland
Hi Dave. Sorry I forgot your name. Does sound like a neat project.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Or perhaps that model was meant to be used in the waiting room area of a Hospital, Doctors Office, Car Dealership or Mechanics Shop?

It would explain the office furniture look to it and also why there would be shelves on it, which could be used for putting reading material on like magazines or books.
It would also might explain why no one on here has seen one in person except for in ads, because perhaps if they were meant for commercial use only like in the aforementioned places, they may have been thrown out once they were no longer repairable and if they only sold a few hundred of them to various hospitals or doctors offices, etc. then that would mean that there may just not be any left in existence anymore.

Last edited by vortalexfan; 12-19-2019 at 01:23 AM.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've been into vintage TV's for decades and have never seen an existing example of that model. I remember Harry Poster mentioning it and that the screen supposedly could be turned to watch it from any point in the room. Very likely it was indeed an idea set that never went into production. In my opinion the design looks rather kludged together. It looks like a Popular Mechanics home project.
There was a blonde wood Danish-style tiered table for the "briefcase" Seventeener that turned the set into a very cool looking mid-century console, so maybe there was aftermarket tables for the Predicta's too.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:07 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
I've been into vintage TV's for decades and have never seen an existing example of that model. I remember Harry Poster mentioning it and that the screen supposedly could be turned to watch it from any point in the room. Very likely it was indeed an idea set that never went into production. In my opinion the design looks rather kludged together. It looks like a Popular Mechanics home project.
There was a blonde wood Danish-style tiered table for the "briefcase" Seventeener that turned the set into a very cool looking mid-century console, so maybe there was aftermarket tables for the Predicta's too.
I'm fairly sure every predicta bubble top set had a swivel screen. That metal collar at the base of the top could swivel the screen side to side...it was the same on the 17" table sets and the 21" sets....the side arms that look like this should enable tilting the screen up and down are actually non-functional faux decorations on every predicta I've seen in person.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-19-2019, 12:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Are there any other 21inch Predicta chassis that use a power transformer? I have never seen a 10L40 chassis.

jr
Audiokarma