Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Question Stewart Warner 9202 DDA cabinet

Does anyone know if the Masonite cabinet is supposed to be gloss or is it a matte or semi gloss finish?
There also appears to be some sort of wax coating on the knobs that has turned white. Any advice on how to clean them up?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1645.jpg (48.8 KB, 47 views)
Old 08-09-2017, 12:28 AM
Administrator

Are you certain it's Masonite and not Bakelite? From the picture I thought it was Bakelite. If you are unfamiliar with Bakelite it's a hard brown or black Plastic like substance, tough but brittle, it will break and crack if hit or dropped hard enough but it is heat and chemical resistant.

Bakelite is Glossy from the factory but often gets dull when exposed to weather or sunlight. It can sometimes be buffed out to a shine again but once the thin shiny layer is gone it never looks as good as new.

The gunk on the knobs is some type of Mold that grows on certain types of plastic, very common on knobs from the era, it will scrub off, there are certain types of cleaner that will help remove it, someone will no doubt chime is with some suggestions, you just want to be sure you don't use anything too harsh.

Great find by the way, I've never seen that model before, Stewart Warner sets are rare in any case.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

It's definitely Masonite, the entire cabinet is made of wood. I do have a couple Zenith AM/FM model 724's made of bakelite, so I am familiar with it.
Here is an ad I found, it even has myTV in it.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Goonior; 08-10-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:44 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonior View Post
There also appears to be some sort of wax coating on the knobs that has turned white. Any advice on how to clean them up?
http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...3&postcount=14

Bob Andersen is the resident god/guru/sage on old B/W sets. His advice is gold.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 08-09-2017, 10:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
Are you certain it's Masonite and not Bakelite? From the picture I thought it was Bakelite. If you are unfamiliar with Bakelite it's a hard brown or black Plastic like substance, tough but brittle, it will break and crack if hit or dropped hard enough but it is heat and chemical resistant.

Bakelite is Glossy from the factory but often gets dull when exposed to weather or sunlight. It can sometimes be buffed out to a shine again but once the thin shiny layer is gone it never looks as good as new.

The gunk on the knobs is some type of Mold that grows on certain types of plastic, very common on knobs from the era, it will scrub off, there are certain types of cleaner that will help remove it, someone will no doubt chime is with some suggestions, you just want to be sure you don't use anything too harsh.

Great find by the way, I've never seen that model before, Stewart Warner sets are rare in any case.
Stewart Warner built a lot of private label products. They were a big supplier of radios to Firestone tire and pre-war models to Sears, source #100.
Audiokarma
Old 08-09-2017, 11:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

#0000 Steel wool

Thought I'd try some #0000 steel wool and it worked! This pic shows only about 20-30 minutes of scrubbing so far. Definitely an improvement and far from finished...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1652[1].jpg (23.3 KB, 39 views)
Old 08-10-2017, 08:30 AM
M is for Memory

Which is the before half and which is the after?

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-10-2017, 09:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Which is the before half and which is the after?
Before on the left, after on the right.. Sorry, I should have been more specific. It was almost midnight when I posted..
Old 08-10-2017, 07:40 PM
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Stewart Warner built a lot of private label products. They were a big supplier of radios to Firestone tire and pre-war models to Sears, source #100.
Now I know why some of the Stewart Warner schematics look the same style as the Sears schematics in the Riders volumes. I picked up a SW 9100b last week.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Tube locations S-W 9202 DDA

Didn't know where else to put this, so....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1634[1].jpg (65.2 KB, 28 views)
Audiokarma
Old 08-17-2017, 01:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Took a closer look last night and found this. Looks like there isn't too much damage and this is the only bad wire I've found, other than some ancient repairs. This wire comes out of the large transformer on the top of the chassis. I'm thinking I could unsolder the wire from where it's attached and use shrink tubing to insulate it again and reattach. None of the insulation is brittle in this unit...

Old 08-18-2017, 10:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdKozk2 View Post
Now I know why some of the Stewart Warner schematics look the same style as the Sears schematics in the Riders volumes. I picked up a SW 9100b last week.
My parents had a Sears Silvertone, with a chassis the same as that one.
The thing had the lousy 21AP4 CRT, that didn't last very long. It went through two of them. Back in the day, there was no rebuilts around.
I seen the same cabinet used with three different chassis, S-W, Arvin and Warwick. The Arvin and Warwick were better performing sets.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

I now have the original Sam's for this set. Is there anyplace to upload a scan of it on here?

Old 10-10-2017, 08:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

This going to be one of my winter projects when it gets too cold to be outside so it's on the backburner, for now. With the wife's eyes messing up recently, things have been put way behind. Add into that I picked an 04 PT Cruiser for dirt cheap I want to get running before it gets too cold out.