Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Rca vkt300

This was my latest thrift store find. It ate the first tape I put in it. You can see why in the pic which shows the belts. I replaced all the belts (and the idler tire - which was ok but there was a new one in my belt kit so I replaced it anyway).

When I put a tape in after I changed the belts it played fine, but the picture was not so great - like the tracking was way off. After running for a few minutes it started to improve some. I then cleaned the head with alcohol and q-tips. There was nothing visibly on the head, and I'm always hearing about guys ruining their heads in the process of cleaning them, so I didn't do too much. I tried play again and got the picture you see below (that's a b/w tv). I still occasionally see some lines across the screen, but it's mostly fixed.

Does anyone know what the remote that goes with this model looks like? I didn't think this used a remote when I got it, but I noticed a remote sensor when I was working on it, so I'd like to get one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vkt300.jpg (50.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg vkt300a.jpg (18.4 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by Adam; 06-19-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:30 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Just scored a VKT300 at a thrift shop today for only $10. In typical Hitachi fashion, the belts are completely gloopified. I'll be getting belts and an idler tire for it soon from Studio Sound Electronics.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

It always gets me how cheap VCRs are now, I wonder if VCR collecting will ever gain much of a following and the prices will go up. I find myself getting more interested in VCRs lately.

Did you get the remote with yours? I'm still trying to figure out what it looks like.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:47 AM
TheUniversalDave1

I didn't get the remote, but this is what it looks like.

Last edited by TUD1; 08-27-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

As far as I know, all of the VKT series machines used the same remote. You can use a newer Hitachi remote in a pinch, and they are much easier to find. The Hitachi VT-RM260A should work just fine, and be readily available. I have a new in box VKT700 that I just recently decided to get running. Awesome machines.
Audiokarma
Old 07-22-2017, 04:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

RCA VKT300 is the same VCR model that actor George Clooney once owned in 1984-1999. Then it went to auction where I bought it, and I resold it for $150 in 2011. The VCR picture is mines that I took.

http://www.eonline.com/news/170337/s...r-can-be-yours
Old 11-20-2017, 04:40 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Replaced the belts in my VKT300 today. Didn't have a new tire, but some alcohol made it usable again. The belt for the counter that comes off the takup reel had turned into a disgusting sticky mess, and I had to sit for about an hour with alcohol and q tips to get it clean. There was goo all over the tire and both reel tables. I finally got it going, but the audio is extremely poor. Also has the poor tracking issue that Adam's machine had. It cleared up after a few minutes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2342.jpg (109.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2341.jpg (63.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2343.jpg (95.4 KB, 17 views)
Old 12-17-2017, 07:33 PM
blast, blast...

The audio AND the tracking cleared up? Good.

If one is still poor use Windex on the Audio/Control track head, then follow up immediately with your regular head cleaning fluid.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

This looks like a Hitachi VT-33 rebadge. Melting belts is very common on these Hitachi's. My portable VT-8E was suffering from the same issue.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
It always gets me how cheap VCRs are now, I wonder if VCR collecting will ever gain much of a following and the prices will go up. I find myself getting more interested in VCRs lately.

Did you get the remote with yours? I'm still trying to figure out what it looks like.
I can even count have many VCR's that are in my possession.
Freebees, dollar items etc.
I never was too crazy about the Hitachi and their re-badges. Late 90's Panasonics were a disappointment as well. I never really had any luck with the Samsung-built GE's and RCA's. I don't even want to think about Fishers.
Audiokarma