Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Vizio M370SL horizontal lines

I have a Vizio model M370SL that uses an LED backlight. After turning the unit on, I get thin horizontal lines across the entire screen and the image has a tendency to freeze. It freezes and unfreezes by the clock... every 2 seconds. I've attached an image of the problem.

From what I've read horizontal lines usually indicates that the panel itself is bad and most likely isn't caused by a faulty T-Con board. I've taken the edge of the panel apart and applied light pressure to the 6 or 8 (don't remember) bonded ribbon connectors though I noted no change in the screen behavior. All the power supply voltages are correct. Does anyone have any thoughts they would like to share? It certainly would be appreciated.

Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vizio.jpg (65.6 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by rlovison; 07-26-2015 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

OK, from what I've learned from three different sources is that the panel is indeed bad. And what was the largest clue was that the menu, when brought up, was distorted with horizontal and vertical bars as well as some ghosting during the freeze ups. Apparently the menu shouldn't be affected with a T-Con failure.

It looks as if the T-Con circuitry is part of the main board as there are two ribbons leading from the main board to the bottom of the panel in the image below. And then I'm assuming the small board at the top is just the LED driver board. Am I correct?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vizio2.jpg (94.0 KB, 49 views)
Old 07-27-2015, 03:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

I don't know... I am NOT sure you have a bad panel. Not sure how it would just 'freeze" because of a panel--more like a signal board issue. There is NO T-con on this set--part of the main board..maybe some in panel itself. But it COULD be a panel...I guess. I have thought a T-con was bad a number of times before..only to have a bad panel.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
I don't know... I am NOT sure you have a bad panel. Not sure how it would just 'freeze" because of a panel--more like a signal board issue. There is NO T-con on this set--part of the main board..maybe some in panel itself. But it COULD be a panel...I guess. I have thought a T-con was bad a number of times before..only to have a bad panel.
The freezing threw me as well. That was why I was leaning toward main board replacement.

There is a small, narrow board running the length of the panel as the bottom. I removed the metal protective cover to expose this and the bonded ribbon cables. Placing pressure on the ribbons had no effect.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Solution?I have the same issue!

I am trying to fix this Vizio M370 with the same problem as in this post.
Unfortunately no solution was posted!

Symptoms:
Thin off white horizontal lines across the screen.
Where there is text on the screen, there are bright white (smeared) vertical lines.
The screen freezes every 2 seconds.
Screen looks fuzzy/noisy and then looks clearer during the momentary freeze.
L&R sides of screen look the same (Symmetrical)

I measured the power supply voltages ...all appear to be ok All voltages present!
I disconnected & cleaned and reinstalled the 2 large ribbon cables going to the lower screen PCB... No change!
2 Large ribbon cables connect to the main video board (not to T-con board).

Does this sound like it is the main board?
Audiokarma
Old 03-02-2019, 12:52 AM
The Resident Brony

Well, I doubt the screen freezing issue is related to the LCD panel. Whatever board the LCD is connected to, attack that first. Remove it and carefully inspect for cracked solder joints, especially those that go to any plugs, wires, or cables attached to the board. That's really about all I can offer, sorry

Also, nice necropost!