Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

My 1972 Plymouth Fury III

This is my latest addition to the fleet. A 1972 Plymouth Fury III, 4dr HT. A real deal completely untouched 66,000 mile survivor from New Jersey. Not your typical survivor car from down south or out west. This one spent it's entire life in NJ yet it never saw winters. It's a Y14 code car, so it was a dealer ordered vehicle. It was built on October 26th, 1971 at the Newark, Delaware assembly plant and arrived hot off the line at Pete Jackson's Chrysler-Plymouth in Parsippany, NJ where it was sold to Mr. Herbert Sohl on October 30, 1971.

Mr. Sohl was a German immigrant and worked as a baker somewhere in New York from what I was told. He drove the car until 1977 when he passed away at age 65. I'm not sure what Mr. Sohl drove in the winters, but it certainly wasn't this car. His wife never drove, so the car literally sat in the garage almost completely untouched from 1977 until 2014 with the only exception that it was very seldom driven by their son until 1990, probably just to exercise it from sitting all the time. Their son lived a few blocks away and worked at a hardware store, so he looked after his Mom for the next 37 years. After 1990, the car was basically never touched again for the next 24 years. It always sat in the garage of Mr & Mrs. Sohls home until Mrs. Sohl passed away in 2014 at age 99. Their 73 year old son sold the car to his friend from whom I purchased it from last month. The car still had Sears G78-15 bias ply tires on it from 1977...! Getting it running again required dropping the fuel tank and a basic tune up.

I'm a big fan of the '69-'73 Mopar fuselage C-bodies, with the '72 Fury III being my absolute favorite in the group. They rarely ever show up in the first place, and whenever they do, they are either completely destroyed by winters or torched in the sun and/or severely hacked by butchers.

This one wears all of it's original L4 code "Sahara Beige" paint. It has the standard reliable 318 - 2 barrel. Factory installed options include; front and rear bumper guards, AM-FM radio (Motorola OEM unit!), cruise control, fender mounted turn signal indicators, cornering lights, door lock reminder light, low fuel warning light, night-watch headlights (time delay shut off for headlights after car is turned off if headlights are left on), and right side mirror.

I rented a car hauler from U-haul and my Dad came along for the 830 mile trip from Chicago out to Jersey. It was a nice memorable trip for my dad and I and the guy selling it was totally honest and upfront. No unforeseen surprises when looking at a car which I'm so used to dealing with. Those old Sears bias plys were dry rotted pretty bad and I knew I'd have to use the front tires to lock the car down to the hauler. 830 miles is a long way to go, so before we left, I took two tires off my '71 Fury and brought them along to mount on the front just so I had a reliable anchor point.

Sadly, the guy I bought the car from said he had a number of people who were interested in the car with intentions of turning it into a low-rider or other modified crap, but those people never came back (fortunately). That would have been a total travesty, but goes to show once again that fewer and fewer people are appreciating these cars for what they are. So many people today want to change these original cars from what they were into what they think they should be, and of course history gets destroyed in the process only to fulfill their selfish and narcissistic desires. As a preservationist, I'm pleased I was the one who was able to save this one and will maintain it as a real 1972 Plymouth Fury!

IMG_20150606_140359027_HDR by Doug Harland, on Flickr

IMG_20150606_200807797_HDR by Doug Harland, on Flickr

DSC03328 by Doug Harland, on Flickr

DSC03128 by Doug Harland, on Flickr

DSC03318 by Doug Harland, on Flickr

DSC03319 by Doug Harland, on Flickr

DSC03325 by Doug Harland, on Flickr

DSC03163 by Doug Harland, on Flickr

DSC03321 by Doug Harland, on Flickr

DSC03153 by Doug Harland, on Flickr

DSC03093 by Doug Harland, on Flickr

2015073195104345 by Doug Harland, on Flickr

DSC03160 by Doug Harland, on Flickr

DSC03298 by Doug Harland, on Flickr

Last edited by drh4683; 08-11-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:16 PM
Not sure how I got here.

~ WOW ~

You sure are lucky ! Beautiful car ! !
What was your tow vehicle ??? Had to have some weight to it, U-Haul would
not rent me one using my 88 Dakota to tow a '89 Prelude, said weight was
too light on the Dodge to handle it....

So how did you actually Find this car ??? Auction - Want ad, ebay ???

Great that you got the history of the life of the owner, and the car....

Again Great Looking car, You are lucky !

Old 08-11-2015, 04:15 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Man, that thing's cherry, and the marker lights doubling as nameplates are totally boss. Great save for sure.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Very very nice!

Thanks for the great pictures.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:05 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Dah-Yum !!! Man, you could EAT off that bad boy.. I NEVER have understood WHY someone would wanna take a car like this, & butcher it all up...
Old 08-11-2015, 08:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Very, very classy!
Old 08-11-2015, 09:58 PM
M is for Memory

Nice! You don't see many of those around, let alone in that good of condition.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-12-2015, 01:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Beautiful! It looks like it just rolled out of the showroom. Great find.
I grew up in a '66, then a '69 Plymouth station wagon. I learned a lot about cars working on that '69, which also had the 318 with a 2-barrel BBD carb. I have loved MOPAR ever since.

I noticed the license plates change in your photos. I guess the license people wouldn't let you keep the blue-over-white plates.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:49 AM
DTV blows

Holy Toledo, that's a sensational find. Congrats, Doug.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

I had a 73 Fury III back in the day, boy that thing could smoke the tires.
Audiokarma
Old 08-12-2015, 07:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

20 years ago I found a '72 Fury II in a junkyard. Decent shape with a real oddity: factory covered headlights. That particular yard would not sell the whole car. I took the owners manual and possibly the fender tag.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

I just watched "Gone in 60 Seconds" last night. I believe I saw a few of these...

I agree about the light up name plates on the side. That is awesome.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Where the heck do you have room to park all of these land yachts?
Old 08-12-2015, 08:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks guys!

When I first brought the car home, I threw on that set of Illinois Antique vehicle plates which came off my '65 Chrysler that I sold last year. I just wanted something on the car when I took some photos before I got it registered. In IL, if you register your car as an Antique Vehicle (it must be 25+ years old), you can run a set of vintage IL plates that represent the year of the car, hence why I've got the '72 IL plates on it now.

We brought the car home using my dad's 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 which pulled that load like nothing was behind it. Dad is retired, so his truck doesn't have the miles on it like mine. My Blue '04 Chevy pick up took a break from the long haul since it's got almost 300K on it, but I won't let it go because that has been the best truck I've ever had and still serves me well for my weekend estate sale runs.

As for storage, I keep them in a neighborhood garage of people I became friends with who had extra space. They give me a good deal and help them take care of their houses since they're older folks. But I've maxed out all of my available spaces now, so no more cars! LOL!

Last edited by drh4683; 08-12-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:39 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Thanks Doug ! And good luck with it ! I would pass up cars like that, just because
I don't have a garage now. You are lucky in the storage plan you have set up....
I would like a Jay Lenno kinda garage though....