Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:21 PM
Motorola Minion

I could complicate your last post by saying I have a Motorola model 17T6, complete with strong RCA 16TP4 metal crt. It has a rounded veneer top and is mahogany finish and had a wood stand that is long gone.

Ive had it since I was 12. It needs a re-recap, again since I did half-assed work in those days, only enough just to get them working.

Mine is sitting on the shelf, so what ever you decide, I'll go on record as being interested in the leftover parts. I could possibly send it to ETF or bring it next year.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 01-23-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:09 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
I could complicate your last post by saying I have a Motorola model 17T6, complete with strong RCA 16TP4 metal crt. It has a rounded veneer top and is mahogany finish and had a wood stand that is long gone.

Ive had it since I was 12. It needs a re-recap, again since I did half-assed work in those days, only enough just to get them working.

Mine is sitting on the shelf, so what ever you decide, I'll go on record as being interested in the leftover parts. I could possibly send it to ETF or bring it next year.
Complicate and confuse...If you want to buy parts for your set from me, then why bring your set to the ETF?

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-23-2017, 03:08 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Complicate and confuse...If you want to buy parts for your set from me, then why bring your set to the ETF?
When you've had a common Motorola for 40 years, you wouldn't miss it much, hence the offer to give it up. I pulled this Motorola out a few years back and got a raster with horizontal frequency issues.

So, Ill take the parts for sure , and with your's and my collections, I can probably return the favor in kind.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 01-23-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Bringing the 23" tin can Zenith up on the variac gave me this.

Pretty good for a weak CRT. Sound and picture were good, so once the vertical gets recapped it should be good to go.

After resolving power switch confusion on the ~17" space command portable Zenith, it too came to life.

Sync is pretty much non existent, and something (can't find it) is VERY lightly smoking. It is full of bumblebees and other sketchy cap types so some issues are to be expected. The remote is untested, and the power tuning seems to be dead. I plan to dig more into this soon.

The Bakelite Admiral (Yay, I finally have a Bakelite TV again! ) has a weak, but still usable 17" metal cone CRT.

Anyone know if the white paint around the screen is factory or aftermarket?
I wonder if the metal Zenith might have a bad yoke. It kinda looks like it.
The Admiral is a little too much of a rust-bucket. If the set is extremely rare, I'd say, got with it! That model and it's variants seem to be rather common.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I don't know whether to sell the Grinnel and fix the Moto, put the CRT in the Grinnel and scrap the Moto, or fix both and swap the CRT around/look for a second. I do have another loose 16TP4 with an open heater...If I can re-weld that tubes and make it usable I may just keep both. What say you?
Scrap the Moto and save the Grinnell. It's much more worthy.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:32 AM
M is for Memory

I'll contact Ben about the Grinnell and see if he minds me backing out of selling it to him. If he don't mind and if it works good with the Moto CRT then I'll keep it, and scrap the Moto...I think I'll keep the legs in case I find a better example of that moto.

The little remote Zenith got most of the sketchy tubular caps on the main chassis changed...No improvement. I'm next going check the sync sep tube. I think I know why it is smoking now. There is a power resistor on the contrast pot that is getting rather hot. It is loosing contrast after warm up.

I've been working on the 7" Sentinel set I'm supposed to fix in return for this lot. All caps except for the 6KV jobs have been changed, and I have HV and some sweep (no signal though)...The HV/sweep section has been hacked up some so it could get interesting trying to straighten it out. Was going to do a combined 6KV cap order with a Teletone 7" set, but that thing is 3X as hacked up....All the HV caps are crudely hacked in doorknobs...Looks like I need to scour 2 schematics to make a parts order list...

Last edited by Electronic M; 01-24-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:52 PM
Tinker

Great haul Tom,
I thought 16TP4 crt's are all glass and a the 17CP4/ 17TP4 crt would be a metal/ glass type .
ED
Old 01-24-2017, 12:55 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdKozk2 View Post
Great haul Tom,
I thought 16TP4 crt's are all glass and a the 17CP4/ 17TP4 crt would be a metal/ glass type .
ED
ED you are right the 16TP4 is all glass...I was gonna mention that to the person who called it a metal tube, but it slipped my mind.