Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have checked the electrolytics a bit ago with a Spague Tel-ohmite. They are all good. I put the transformer in Friday night and it works great. It has more sweep than the other Thordarson that went bad. I felt the transformer after about an hour and it was warm but not hot. I did adjust the sweep to normal after about 15 minutes.
My 25MC33 also will collapse momentarily when the air conditioner compressor turns on. I think they are sesitive to even small line variations. When I use it on my sine wave inverter there is no sign of any collapse.
I was lucky to find the transformer on our favorite "auction" site.
Who rewound the RCA CT-100 convergence transformer? As mentioned before, the vertical output transformer does have a problem shorting to the convergence. I think the last one whacked the convergence board as the bottom convergence is now pretty far out. When I get back to Mississippi next weekend I will look into that problem and hopefully will have time to look into what looks like delay line ringing which goes away after a half an hour. I also plan to bring the set home as soon as possible as I don't like leaving the air conditioner on in Mississippi when I'm not there.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:23 PM
M is for Memory

The AC system here does cause blooming, however I think we have a welder, a power grid issue, or someone with a REALLY strange device loading the grid. There are intermittent times when there is several MAJOR (as in perceivable dimming of the lights) line voltage dips a minute continuing for sometimes hours at a time.

Look into getting a saturable reactor line isolation transformer (they produce a regulated 120V AC output). I just got one and it has eliminated even the slightest hint of blooming on the set that I'm running it with.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-24-2014, 06:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

On that ringing, try subbing the last IF tube.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

I used to have window air conditioners all over my place here. When their compressors turned on, I'd see the vertical get smaller for a moment, but it never collapsed.

The whole house was on a 60 amp fuse box back then.

I rewired the whole place the 2nd year I lived here.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:14 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post

Look into getting a saturable reactor line isolation transformer (they produce a regulated 120V AC output). I just got one and it has eliminated even the slightest hint of blooming on the set that I'm running it with.
+1

I have a 30 Amp Sola unit that regulates my test bench. See if you can find one locally, as shipping would be expensive for sure. Craigslist, Public Surplus, any eBay auctions within driving distance...

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Audiokarma
Old 08-31-2014, 11:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

My washer agitates back and forth by electrically alternating the motor that drives the agitator.

When I watch am old TV whilst the washer is running, the picture makes a throbbing motion!

Hope the vertical transformer does not prove to be a problem when I tackle my roundie - it's a Zenith 24MC32
Old 09-01-2014, 08:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well, Oldcoot88, you were dead on with the last IF tube. When I got to Mississippi Friday it was the first thing I did. No more ringing! Clear picture. I then got started on the convergence. Some of the controls on the panel were nearly immovable. I sprayed them with WD-40 and carefully worked them back and forth until they freed up. Turned the set on and one could hear my mouth hit the floor. With no adjustment the convergence was virtually perfect. I would guess oxidized contols. I sat and watched for about 20 minutes and was amazed!
Over the weekend I put about three hours on the set. It is now a pleasure to watch!
Just keep your fingers crossed about the vertical output transformer!