Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

A few Fernseh/Bosch KCU-40's made their way onto a studio in Boston, MA, which was used for filming of promo ads that aired after Boston's WNAC-TV (Channel 7) changed their calls to WNEV-TV, following the loss of RKO's license and transfer to another entity. (From what I've read, WNAC/WNEV didn't actually use Fernseh/Bosch cameras at their 7 Bulfinch Place studios; the ads were shot elsewhere.)
Old 09-04-2014, 06:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi all-

The Fernseh design was interesting on many fronts. Yes, it was a Y R B camera that had to work with existing monochrome cabling in Europe, so the R/B channels were multiplexed on carriers on one coax. Later, in the KCK, triax and coax links could be used. I believe also that Fernseh was the first to have a fiber link option, but none were sold in the US.

Fernseh did not feel digital memory was relaible at the time, so the adjustment pots in the camera head were all motor driven. If power was lost, the pots didn't move.

The blue channel also featured a "mimifier" that reduced the scanning area that helped reduce lag.

On the downside, the camera produced a very pastel look. I don't recall what matrixing was available, but green was derived from the other channels. In the Quartercam cameras, Bosch went to a conventional RGB pickup design. Asked about the change, a Bosch engineer replied to me, "Well the colorimetry in the older cameras was not so good!"

The BBC must have been very critical of the Bosch colorimetry.

Bosch Fernseh cameras sold well into PBS stations and several OB companies in the US.

Regards,

J Ballard