Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:12 AM
Nipper Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiomec View Post
Hi Bruce, I should do a work like yours soon, for the CRT of my Zenith Parkhurst, but my 21FJP22 is a General Electric tube with a glue that has a green halo at the sides. What is the brand of your tube? Do you think that the same work is possible or it should be better use another way?
Marco.
I should have mentioned it, the crt was an RCA Hi-Lite and even though I have done about a half dozen of these ive never done any of the green halo types with the hot wire. I too have a GE 21fjp, and it looks like the glass is ready to fall off but the tube is so weak it doesn't seem worth doing.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:13 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiomec View Post
Hi Bruce, I should do a work like yours soon, for the CRT of my Zenith Parkhurst, but my 21FJP22 is a General Electric tube with a glue that has a green halo at the sides. What is the brand of your tube? Do you think that the same work is possible or it should be better use another way?
Marco.
This video shows the process for removing the safety glass on CRTs with the green cataracts (commonly referred to as Zenith type cataracts).

I used no. 18 guitar string (the steel kind) to do that. It was a VERY hot day that day (upwards of 85 degrees farenheight) which helps the process greatly.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-13-2014, 02:24 PM
Marco Bacigalupo

Thank you guys! Just I'll have the right time, I'll do this operation!
What do you think about the possibility of glue again the safety screen?
I'd like make a work like the original system of to glue the whole screen surface, but I don't know what glue should be the best.
I've seen this video where at 2.15 minutes there is the glueing of the safety screen in a Bonded B&W CRT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9hyE6jL1lg
Old 08-13-2014, 07:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

I am not aware of any one here that has tried to rebond. One thing I have a plan to do is to try banding a rectangle crt (for a roundie I would just leave it unbonded and unbanded). This banding will simply be a steel band that is wrapped around the crt (steel strapping) with a crimped on connector. I have no idea of the types of banding, how tight, or any other things I need to do this right, so I will be testing on a dud with lots of safety gear on.