Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Great idea Chris.

BTW, I saw that display during one of my visits to SFO. My daughter lived ther for a few years.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:01 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
A few years ago, I supplied some of my old TV sets for an exhibit at San Francisco Airport. The airport has its own museum department, with "real" curators and so on. I had wondered if they were going to want to display any early sets turned on, but they didn't. If they had, though, my very specific plan would have been to:

1) Get a suitable flat-panel TV set (or monitor with an external tuner/signal source), that could be temporarily installed in the early TV set's cabinet.

2) Insist that a sign be part of the set's display, reading "This set has a modern display installed for exhibit purposes only. The original chassis and components have been preserved, and will be reinstalled after this exhibit closes. No modifications have been made to the original cabinet or components."
Agree completely.

One of my less-valuable Chromacolor II consoles was displayed at the Chrysler museum (which is cars-only) but did special events like Christmas trees/decorations with cars of particular eras. As you can see in my horrible cell phone picture, this one is displayed circa 1976. It was running a loop of Christmas shows from the era on a hidden DVD, 8 hrs a day for a few months. No mods and no problems, but I realize this is far different than running a tube set so hard.

The Henry Ford museum (which is carving out a niche more like the Smithsonian) is not associated with Ford Motor Company beyond the common father of both having an interest in history. That's why they started calling it "the" Henry Ford about 5 years ago. They should know better, and I'd expect more from them. Heck, the Chrysler museum is (was) free while the HFM is like $30 or so to get in.

There are zillions of dirt cheap 50's B&W sets out there that could pull off this duty after being restored. Or at the very least, kill the color signal for the old sets!