Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

1928 victor talking machine radio acquired

I recently acquired this non working radio. In fair shape but an open in the center tap of a 5v filament winding (I can work around this) . Also, the electrodynamic speaker field coil is open (corrosion on one end) I have a Ryder circuit diagram (two versions of this) and a victor circuit diagram. No information on the field coil.....resistance, inductance...etc. It will have to be rewound.

The wire of the coil weighs ~3 3/4 lbs and is about #32 so I can estimate the resistance (~3,162 ohms) the length is ~19,500'

Any ideas, leads, guidance.......thanks for any thoughts.

Jim
Old 04-20-2017, 08:59 PM
Administrator

What model is it? If it's 1928, I'm assuming that it's a variant of the Radiola 60, with the separate SPU (Socket Power Unit) with one UX-280 and about a dozen wires connecting it to the main radio chassis.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Details of radio

The system is three units: The tuned radio frequency receiver (no serial # or tags of any kind) it plugs into the power supply/amplifier. The speaker (a Beast of a unit) no tags or numbers of any kind) it plugs into the power supply/amplifier. The Amplifier which has a tag: Radio Victor Corporation of America: Victor Amplifier: type 245: volts 105-125: 175 watts: Ser #186873

The radio has 5 - 26 amplifier tubes and 1 - 27 detector. The amplifier has 1 26 amplifier , 1 80 rectifier and 2 45 push pull in the output. All 5 stages of the amplifier are capacitor tuned as the dial lever/knob is moved to select a station. Dennis Carter has several YouTube videos on an almost identical set He calls his an RCA RE45
Old 04-22-2017, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Sounds identical to a Radiola 80, which I need a replacement chassis for too. I replaced the interstage transformer on it and recapped it which surprisingly DIDN'T cure an audio issue and a burning smell. I'm familiar with the process you're thinking of also, having just diagnosed and repaired an open secondary winding in a transformer for a Radiola 60. I was going to rig an outboard transformer to replace the secondary and variac the transformer up separately while watching the B+.

It's not worth it. I picked up a replacement power chassis and after checking it through had the radio playing in a half hour. Unless you really enjoy such electronic repair puzzles, I'd suggest the same.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Jim,

Sounds like a Victor Radio R-35. I have one in my collection. It was actually in the family. Belonged to a Great Aunt. I haven't yet gotten around to restoring it.

See if it matches this:
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/rca_r_35_victor.html

There were several sets that were similar also.

Regards,
BobH
Audiokarma
Old 04-28-2017, 09:14 PM
Still Y2K Compliant!

If it's a part of the Victor R-32 family of sets, then that would date it from 1929, not 1928.

www.galaxymoonbeamnightsite.com