Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:33 PM
Banned

1950s or 1960s vintage Penneys Towncraft Clip-on ties

Hello everyone about 3 weeks ago I bought a half a dozen clip-on ties (because I don't know how to tie a tie, and when I tried learning how I just couldn't get the knack of it) from Goodwill where I work and amongst those ties were 3, yes 3 Penneys Towncraft Clip-on ties from what I assume to be the 1950s or 1960s because the J.C. Penney logo used on the ties is the old "Penneys" logo like what you see on the old Penncrest radios and record players from the 1950s and 1960s.
And from what I read in a thread on here concerning an old Penneys Penncrest Console Stereo with TV they mentioned that J. C. Penney Changed their Logo back in the mid 1970s which dates these ties to no later than the early 1970s and from what I saw of other similar ties like them online they seem to be from the 1950s or 1960s.

I just thought it was kind of interesting because I've never owned an authentic piece of vintage clothing before (or clothing accessories in this case) and I saw that apparently vintage J. C. Penney Clothing can be worth some money (not a whole lot but enough to make one consider starting a collection of vintage ties as a little nest egg, especially when they're going for $40-$50 a pop and the ties only sold for about $2.50 brand new back in the day.)

Anyways, I'm guessing this might be the first thread anyone has started on here concerning vintage clothing accessories, but hey, there's always a first for something right?

Pictures posted below and also would be interested in hearing what you guys think about these ties. And yes in case you're wondering I do use them they're not just for display except to show off my love for anything vintage and antique.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2917.jpg (128.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2918.jpg (94.8 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Captainclock; 02-26-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

I never tried those ties but I heard Penney's is not doing good and they will close up over 100 stores soon. So some of the Penncrest could go up on value if they shut down altogether. I have a Penncrest radio somewhere around here.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
I never tried those ties but I heard Penney's is not doing good and they will close up over 100 stores soon. So some of the Penncrest could go up on value if they shut down altogether. I have a Penncrest radio somewhere around here.
Yes, I heard about that, if Penny's goes belly up that would be only the second major American department store chain that's gone belly up after over a hundred years in business, the first one being Montgomery Wards back in the early 2000s. Also the Family Christian Bookstores are also closing up shop after nearly 60 years in business, they're closing up because of too much competition from online retailers like Amazon and what not.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
Yes, I heard about that, if Penny's goes belly up that would be only the second major American department store chain that's gone belly up after over a hundred years in business, the first one being Montgomery Wards back in the early 2000s. Also the Family Christian Bookstores are also closing up shop after nearly 60 years in business, they're closing up because of too much competition from online retailers like Amazon and what not.

Yes .Blame Amazon.They got too big like Walmart. We had a Penney's in the local mall and it closed up years ago.If it keeps up .Macy's,Sears,Kmart could be next to close up altogether.Radio Shack got a reprieve with sprint and other investors for now.Its to bad all of these established box stores are getting kills off by the internet.Also I can blame poor management too.I would hold on to those ties since they are classic items.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
Yes .Blame Amazon.They got too big like Walmart. We had a Penney's in the local mall and it closed up years ago.If it keeps up .Macy's,Sears,Kmart could be next to close up altogether.Radio Shack got a reprieve with sprint and other investors for now.Its to bad all of these established box stores are getting kills off by the internet.Also I can blame poor management too.I would hold on to those ties since they are classic items.
Indeed that's what I plan on doing, because I had already looked over at ebay and even Etsy which have vintage clothing and clothing accessories sections and they are already selling for quite a bit of money so it seems only that they might just go up in value more if like you said Penney's ends up closing up shop for good. Its kind of like when I saved the old Montgomery Wards portable color TV from the salvage heap at goodwill where I work, that TV even though it isn't incredibly old (its from 1982) its probably still worth some money because of the fact that Montgomery Wards isn't around anymore, besides the fact that it still works like new and is a low hours set.
Audiokarma