Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:34 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmuri
when I shut it off the picture collapses to a horizontal line, then the line slowly collapses to the ol' white dot, then the dot hangs around for 30 seconds.
In my family, we always called it "the man with the flashlight in the TV".
Old 06-02-2007, 10:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Actually, the most negative reactions I've gotten are from older guys I've told I have old color TVs, who insist that the color looks bad on those sets, and simply won't believe me when I say it doesn't. I've been considering carrying around a picture of an early color set working just to disprove this idea. Where this idea came from, I don't know, I can only assume people used to watch color sets that weren't working properly, or needed degaussing, or had one weak gun or something.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

I don't have much experience on showing my collection to other people so far, as only a few elected people are allowed to go into my place. One time I had my cousin going in there, and he was more marvelled by my 1962 Philips-Mullard radio-phono combo. A friend of mine, who is a vintage automobile enthusiast ( he has a 1953 "Split-Window" VW Beetle ), is now infected with the "vintage TV bug" I passed on him. He always drools over my 1953 bakelite Admiral and my 1956 Philco console - in fact, looking at the Philco he always comments that it is a shame that they don't make TVs in that style anymore.

When I brought the Philco home, it sat for some time in my mother's living room, as it is just too heavy for me to carry it alone to my apartment ( which is located on the back of the property ). One day the ex-husband of one of my aunts saw the Philco and said that I should "transistorize" it, or put a modern color TV inside. I was horrified to hear it. I couldn't believe that a well educated person, with a degree on chemical engineering was saying such a blasphemy. I said that it was a historical piece, and that doing such things would ruin it's original status. I think he still didn't got it, he was still thinking that restoring an old, tube type B&W TV to work on it's original specifications was a waist of time. It's really difficult for me to understand such a line of thinking, even more because since he was born in 1938, I know that his early memories of watching TV are with a set very similar to that one.

Now that my aunt kept the house in their divorce, she might still have his sound system - it has one of the very first CD players - still working. I am thinking of giving her a call, to ask if she would not want to sell the CD player to me...

As for me ( born in 1977 ) I am fascinated with 1950's TV sets since I was a kid, when I saw pictures of those TVs in books, and when I saw that nice RCA Victor console on the movie "Back to the Future" . I always thought that they were much more beautiful than modern TVs, and since that time I wanted to have at least one.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:10 AM
slave to 3 equines

I'm 27 now... and i'm NOT going to collect plasma or LCD HDTVs even when i'll be 57... and they will be vintage and rare... that's because i'm sooo fed up with seeing them everywhere now...

That's probably why some older people don't like tube TVs...

Francesco
Audiokarma
Old 06-03-2007, 06:43 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Francesco, have you ever SEEN a roundie in person ? It's wild-Even better than seeing a bunch of old cars, or old antique furniture...
Old 06-03-2007, 09:34 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianburke
Just wait until someone discovers I have NOS color CRT's!!
There can't be too many of those tucked away forgotten on shelves... can there be? Sounds like you have a fairly amazing, world-class collection there.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

A few years ago a friend from India paid a visit. He saw my RCA B&W console (1957 vintage) and talked a bit about TVs. I turned it on, and he was amazed a little bit that it actually worked (albeit the CRT needs a brightner). I recapped it. We used to work together doing early HDTV R&D about 15 years ago.

He said something about similar TVs in India when he grew up there (he's roughly my age, so that would place it in the 60's to early 70's). Calcutta area, near Bengla Desh.

Emailed another friend (who is a hard core NY Yankees fan) a picture of the above TV set with a baseball game on the CRT. He was amused to see a modern baseball game (must be that games in the day used different camera angles, as well as no electronic graphics showing base runners, scores, the count and so on) on a vintage TV set.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:44 PM
slave to 3 equines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
Francesco, have you ever SEEN a roundie in person ? It's wild-Even better than seeing a bunch of old cars, or old antique furniture...
No, i haven't seen one yet, there are very few roundies here, Philips and Zenith made some roundies with a PAL chassis for our market in the mid 60s, but they were very rare even back then, as just a few (extremely wealthy) people bough them to watch B/W only programming, with the hope to get color programming someday... and they waited until 1972...

The earliest color TVs you can realistically expect to find here are rectangular hybrid chassis sets from about 1972 when color programming started to appear, while solid state sets made in the mid 70s are still relatively easy to find...

most people here stuck with B/W until the early 90s and B/W sets were sold until the late 80s... with at least one hybrid B/W chassis being dragged on into the early 80s.

Francesco
Old 06-05-2007, 09:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Smile

While working on an alarm job at a new bank branch, I mentioned that I had brought back to life a CTC-4, and had obtained very good screen shots using DVD's of Technicolor films. This pronouncement was met with snickers from a fellow technician. Of course, at the time I had no screen shot pictures to show what the "old war horse" of a receiver could do. I now have a couple of photos with me.
I will try to post a couple of photos. The CRT is re-built, and has the original color gamut of the 21AXP22, no "A" suffix. Color reproduction can be almost breathtaking in a pitch black room (my basement)!
BTW: At maximum white on the screen, the X-RAY output measured through the safety glass with a radiac meter measured .4 milirems per hour, a rather high reading.
The current project is a CTC-11 with VERY LOW hours. Chassis is mint and super clean. Usual caps, etc replacement. Love working on old color chassis! helps fight depression.
Kevin
Old 06-05-2007, 10:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

I only saw roundies in person TWICE in my life: both ocasions were on the collection of a friend of mine. Roundies are the RAREST OF THE RAREST of vintage TVs here, since brazilian television began in 1950, so roundies were on their last moments of production. Luckily, he began collecting TVs sometime around 1985, when people were still throwing those to the dump. He has some 15 roundies, which, for Latin American standards, is an EXTREMELY IMPRESSIVE amount. Probably the most rare of his roundies is the Philips ( picture below ). He is lucky enough to have TWO of those. This TV was made in Holland in 1949/1950, SPECIALLY for the brazilian market. Oddly enough, the controls are in Portuguese, but not on Brazilian Portuguese but in the Portuguese that is spoken on Portugal ( and television in Portugal only began in 1957 ). The guys at Eindhoven thougt that the language was just exactly the same... Anyway, the first time I visited his collection ( in 1998, and I NEVER forget that day, it was also the same day in which I met and took pictures and autographs with Mister David Prowse, a.k.a Lord Darth Vader in the original Star Wars trilogy ), it was the most WILD experience in my life, a true TIME MACHINE - he put a "Three Stooges" episode to play in that Philips roundie ( the one episode in which they wreck a TV set they had to install to a friend ); oh man, I REALLY felt like it was 1950 again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01tvg.jpg (18.6 KB, 47 views)
Old 06-06-2007, 02:10 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Video
he put a "Three Stooges" episode to play in that Philips roundie ( the one episode in which they wreck a TV set they had to install to a friend )
That Three Stooges film is called "Goof on the Roof", with Shemp, Larry, and Moe. I wish it was on one of the DVD releases, but it is not yet, in the USA at least.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:54 PM
electronics packrat

I get positive reactions from most of my family as they're used to them after 34 years of seeing them come and go(my brother got me started collecting t.v.s and radios when I was 4!). My wife, on the other hand was another story. She was of the opinion that with t.v.s and audio gear new was better and old stuff was all junk. After 10 years, I've managed to change her thinking somewhat on this. After seeing the picture quality on my CTC-15 and
the Zenith Space Command 600 I have, as well as hearing my console radios,
she now knows that the old stuff is of much better quality. But you should've seen her face when I first brought the RCA home!

Dumont-First with the finest in television.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Almost universally the reaction I've gotten is "Why do you keep around all this junk?"

Its kind of irritating.

David
Old 06-15-2007, 10:39 PM
roundie not so n00b

agreed. makes me wanna hit someone....

Another idea.....instead of expensive anti-psychotic drugs, let's provide schizophrenics with dummy bluetooth headsets. They'll easily blend into the crowd, although I suspect their "conversations" would be far more rational than those of the typical Wal-Mart shopper.

Ron
Audiokarma