Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:52 PM

Glad you got it working!

John
Old 04-21-2006, 05:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

I tried the stereo, and it works so well, I don't think I'm going to change those electrolytics after all, it really is an excellent stereo, and there is no humming or any signs of those caps going bad. If anyone is actually looking for one of these big consoles and wants a good stereo this is it. It pulls in stations I can't get on many of my other radios with only the built in antennas, and it sounds great on both AM and FM. It will get quite loud too. The record player doesn't work at all the motor is completely dead. The uhf tuner continues to be strange, it was never made to be tuned with the knob, it sits on a fixed shaft, behind it is a set of gears which do tune the tuner, but these are not accessable from the front of the set. I tried it and it also didn't work at all, nothing but a blank raster. It is probably just hooked up wrong, like I said before, it looked to be a later addition with some goofy wiring. But I don't see much use in a tuner I can't even tune, so I might just remove it. I would have to find something that looks good to put over the hole though.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:23 AM
Banned

Somebody probably has the

rectangular hole plug that came in that set when new. It says: FOR UHF TUNER on it in a small circle but it is a rectangle like 1" wide and 1-3/4" tall.
That would be a nice alternative that would put it to original condition. It is neat to see those with no UHF.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

pictures of this tv

Last edited by Adam; 09-13-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:12 AM
<-- sucker for old sets.

sweet. The little hoffman on top isn't bad lookin either.

What's that TV in your avatar? Looks like a sylvania halolight or something like it.

*EDIT* -- Ah! Westinghouse, I just read you other thread. Very cool.

Last edited by jpdylon; 04-29-2006 at 12:24 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 06-24-2007, 01:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

I sold this set on craigslist several months ago, but I think it just showed up on e-bay here: http://cgi.ebay.com/CLASSIC-RCA-VICT...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm almost positive it is the same set, notice the missing control door, and the missing thing that goes over the record player to play 45s (I kept that, if anyone here gets this they can have it). Also notice the position of the uhf knob, exactly the same, it was stuck in that position.

The guy I sold it to didn't know anything about old sets, so here goes the description of exactly what was going on with it when I sold it:

good stuff: good CRT (although the red gun is a bit weak, it is not noticeable), new electrolytics, and no bad or weak tubes

bad stuff: The top of the cabinet was scratched up, as the guy I got it from had kept another set on top after it broke, and the right rear leg was broken off. The record player doesn't turn at all, I think the motor is bad. The CRT had a loose connection at one of the pins in the socket, I removed the socket and soldered it all back, but I had been up all night trying to rethread the pins into the socket, and when I finally got them all in there, I had forgot to use any kind of glue, so the socket is loose. The uhf tuner doesn't work at all, there is some problem with the gears in there and it won't turn, it also isn't even the one that belongs with that set, and I just disconnected it entirely. The vertical height also changes slightly as the set warms up.

Oh, and it is a ctc-15, not a 12, I had thought it was a 12 when I first saw the ad for it on craigslist before I picked it up, and later when I found out it was a 15 I was unable to change the title of this thread.

Last edited by Adam; 09-13-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:48 AM
<-- sucker for old sets.

I thought that set looked familiar. Its a shame the guy didn't just keep it and enjoy it. I hope it goes to someone who will take care of it. I wouldn't mind another set if it weren't that big. Roundies are disappearing around here fast.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:44 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

I didn't realize it was Adam's set originally! I put a bid of $51 several days ago, but as usual, it's just a "rescue" bid and I won't rebid due to space. If nobody outbids and I get it, it's got a safe home.

Charles
Old 06-25-2007, 01:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx250rider View Post
I put a bid of $51 several days ago, but as usual, it's just a "rescue" bid and I won't rebid due to space. If nobody outbids and I get it, it's got a safe home.

Charles
I think you're going to be stuck with it, I had that set for sale for a little over 3 months before it finally sold. I tried here, tried e-bay, tried craigslist, I finally sold it on craigslist for $100 towards the end of January this year. No one around here seems to want the big combo sets.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:43 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Oh brother... you're probably right. I shouldn't get in trouble for bringing it home though... My fiance' just committed to take two obese sheep that a friend of hers doesn't have room to keep. At least she isn't taking the emu that the same same friend wants to find a home for!

Charles