Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:08 AM
hposter

The 21CT55 that was

Hey Ed,

This was stored by me for the last 15 years..maybe 20. In those days, every local NJ TV shop had lots of 'early' parts & CRTs and I bought everything they had.

I got lots of TVs back then (most sold on A.R.C. and at the meets), and I finally gave up storing this big 21" color tube, hoping to find a color set that needed that CRT. I'll probably find one next week...and kick myself.

Harry
Old 10-24-2006, 12:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Harry, I seem to recall an article you wrote back in the late eighties detailing some big finds. Back then, as a snotty nosed teenager, I was really jealous! But I am really glad you were there to save those things. I can only imagine some of the things buried in the back rooms of all those NY area shops. Much of it would be in landfills today.

If it were easy to do I would pull my CTC-5 apart and check for the index marks-but that's not gonna happen! I don't suppose the ETF museum has a 21AXP22 laying around to check?
Old 10-24-2006, 12:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Brady
The main concern my last post is about is my concern over any more of those roundie tubes or any parts being thrown away or harmed.
We should all be on the lookout for old sets & parts. They will not be here forever. The independent TV repair business is nearly extinct & a lot of rare stuff will go with it. I am not real outgoing myself so I have a hard time walking into a place and asking about old stuff they might have. But, you know, nobody yet has grabbed me by the ear and thrown me out the door. Most struck up a friendly conversation and were glad someone wanted their treasures. The worst treatment I've gotten was from a repairman who just wasn't ready to part with the stuff yet.

Somewhere out there, there are: NOS 21" color tubes; prewar TV sets; CT-100s and other 15GP22 sets; all manner of early bw & tube color sets. It is up to us to find them, not so much before some other collector does but before the landfill does!
Old 10-24-2006, 01:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Harry, and all,

My 21AXP22 had identical markings to yours. A 21AXP22A has somewhat different registration markings.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:47 PM
hposter

thanks John!

Hey John,

Thanks! I wasn't sure, and couldn't find any good photos.

Lots of stuff still turns up, but most actually finds its way onto ebay at this point, so a majority is available to everyone (or at least, we can look at the item and wish we were there first).

The majority of people that email me about the value of old TVs or parts (15 to 45 per week), I give a guesstimate, and nearly always suggest a link to local Radio/TV clubs and Meets. Once in a while, I suggest ebay, and maybe once or twice a year, I actually buy something.

Harry
Audiokarma
Old 10-25-2006, 08:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow
We should all be on the lookout for old sets & parts. They will not be here forever
Somewhere out there, there are: NOS 21" color tubes; prewar TV sets; CT-100s and other 15GP22 sets; all manner of early bw & tube color sets. It is up to us to find them, not so much before some other collector does but before the landfill does!
Hi Bryan,
Thanks for the words of encouragement! Sometimes I forget the logic of that and I get this wierd feeling of never being able to finish these huge projects that have taken over the apartment I live in and I start to get a bit depressed for being too late to get on the bandwagon. When I get extra time I like to drive from Boca down through Ft. Lauderdale on A1A(the road closest to the beach) and I am always somewhat awestruck at seeing the beautiful huge condos there, many built in the '50' and '60's. I often think that there must be many interesting great people living in them. I also wonder about how many residents still have thier roundies. Probably not many in this area because everything seems based on seasonal fashions but I suspect there are more than I would expect. I wish I could come up with a way of meeting some of the many people who have lived around here since the '50's or '60's mostly because I love the "vibe" I get being in thier company as I listen to anything they will say but I also hope to find a set or two. I love the idea of recieving someones TV(before it goes to the dump or the auction) and getting all the history of the set as well. I like to know the usual stuff about the sets past but it would be also interesting to hear someone telling of the family all watching the moon landing on it, etc. I wonder if the set was a big deal to get originally or was it just another accessory. I would ask about encounters with repairmen. I would listen gratefully to anything they would like to share.
Anybody have any suggestions as to how I might go about meeting such people?
Thanks
Old 10-25-2006, 08:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hposter
Hey Ed,

This was stored by me for the last 15 years..maybe 20. In those days, every local NJ TV shop had lots of 'early' parts & CRTs and I bought everything they had.

I got lots of TVs back then (most sold on A.R.C. and at the meets), and I finally gave up storing this big 21" color tube, hoping to find a color set that needed that CRT. I'll probably find one next week...and kick myself.

Harry
harry
Back in the early 80s someone gave me a 21ct55 chassis with a burned up fly back. I did keep it for many years but space was getting hard to find around here so I pulled some parts off it and threw it out. I don't think I will ever run into something like that again. I am going to kick myself in the ass when I am done writing this.
Ed
Old 11-06-2006, 12:45 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=radio63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Brady
I have sensed a cold shoulder or two more than once here.

Bobby, I thought your comments in your previous post were very interesting. Particularly where you mention that you have felt a cold shoulder here from time to time. I have had the same feeling from some persons on these forums by reading their posts. I don't post very often, and I guess what little posting I do is not noticed much. I've never been welcomed to these pages, but I still post if I have something to say. But I do notice some arrogance and I guess selfishness. Is this wrong? Probably. Is it abnormal? Probably not. Collecting anything is competitive and sadly can bring out bad attributes in folks that might normally be good people. Collecting these radios and TVs is a microcosm of society in general, so you will run into good helpful folks and those who won't be inclined to lend a hand.

I don't think anyone should advertise "I have this but it's not available". If that be the case, I would think it would be better to just keep it to yourself and not say anything, then if no one knows, no bad feelings will result.

I have noticed some "networking" going on here. As an outsider, which I feel I am, it is a little aggravating to see people posting that they will get an old TV or whatever and keep it for somebody else, in order to prevent any other collectors from getting hold of it. Does not everyone deserve an opportunity to chase after and try to acquire a given set? I find that rather offensive. But I as I said previously, it is just a microcosm of society in general, and human nature. Nothing should really surprise us.

Gilbert

Hi Gilbert,
Thank you for taking time out to share your thoughts. I appreciate your words as they help me think better.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmuri
Thing about this forum is we're from all over the country (the world actually), and from every age bracket and walk of life.

I had a 20-year span in my career where I traveled for a living. I've spent extended periods from Boston to San Diego, Miami to Seattle. Just about every city in between. People are still amazingly different across the country, despite the TV set's and pop culture's efforts to homogenize us all. You can walk down the street in New York, look a total stranger in the eye and say "Whassup?". He'll likely smile and say "Whassup?" back. It's a greeting there. Try that in Minneapolis, and the person will probably look up, not see anything, and then look at you funny. Say "Whassup?" to a complete stranger in the wrong part of Los Angeles, you almost certainly get shot.

Be 50 and say "whassup" to a 14-year-old Denver skateboarder with a tatoo and a ring in his nose and he'll say "none of your f-king business, flip you the bird, and tear up your lawn soon as you're not looking. Be 14 and say "whassup?" to a 70-year-old man, and he'll think you're trying to rob him and he'll call for a cop or whack you with his cane.

And that's just "Whassup?". Not "I have extra CRTs but I'm keeping them as spares".

Note to everyone here, whenever you THINK somebody's insulting you and/or "cold-shouldering" you, or excluding you from all the good TV sets by "networking" against you, the odds are better than even that it's all in your head. Take 5 deep breaths and count to 10 before going off on a 3-page sideways hysterical rage over how unfair the whole world is. In general, most people who think the world is a rotten place, built their own hell and are sadly living in it alone.

I'm a fellow Hoosier to OldTVMan, and in a somewhat near age-bracket I would guess. while we haven't met, and while I wouldn't presume to speak for him, I suspect he was just being a middle-aged Hoosier, which is being a very matter-of-fact and pragmatic speaker. Bobby said "Nobody has one". He didn't say, "Nobody has one for sale", just "Nobody has one". I think OldTVMan was just saying he had one. Nothing more, nothing less. He didn't say, "I have one, and Bobby Brady specifically can't have it, Nya Nya, NYA". Bobby leapt to that conclusion on his own. OldTVMan just said he keeps some spares. I took it as advice not to think nobody has one, and to realize that there are still plenty of them out there, and just because nobody's knocking down the door to benevolently GIVE one to Bobby Brady, just because Bobby Brady wants one, doesn't speak a word to how few or many of them are still out there. I suspect he was, in fact, just trying to be helpful. "Don't give up hope of finding one, because I know first hand there are some more out there" would have been my translation. As a fellow Hoosier.

Instead of wailing for pages about how rotten the whole world is, if you had said, "Really? Give 'ya $300 for one of your spares", both of you would be happier right now.

It's chilling as hell to know, whenever you consider posting something here, that you have to run the risk of somebody going berserk and screaming "I'm offended!!!". Happened to me awhile back here and I'm still leery from it. Sucks all the joy out of the room. If, as a rule, people should "keep it to themselves", so "if no one knows, no bad feelings will result", What's the point of having a forum at all? If we all gotta be quiet.

If a few people are giving me a "cold shoulder", first thing I ask is "What's wrong with me?", not "What's wrong with them?". That's called being humble.

My 2 cents. -k

Thank you very much for taking time out to help educate others, like me!