Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:12 PM
Administrator

HD isn't all that exciting if you're going to watch it on a 20" screen, what is exciting is it's now possible to have a real Home Theater system with a 100" widescreen format and near theater quality.

If VHS was good enough for most people DVD would never have taken off, I thought it sucked from day one IMO.

I agree that we have all become used to hi tech, nothing quite has the power to amaze us like it did years ago but that's normal I guess.

Last edited by Eric H; 02-23-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:42 PM
OlColorTVfan

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
HD isn't all that exciting if you're going to watch it on a 20" screen, what is exciting is it's now possible to have a real Home Theater system with a 100" widescreen format and near theater quality.

If VHS was good enough for most people DVD would never have taken off, I thought it sucked from day one IMO.

I agree that we have all become used to hi tech, nothing quite has the power to amaze us like it did years ago but that's normal I guess.
Yeah, DVD is great...but what about being able to record onto a DVD? I had enough troubles with burning audio CD's on my computer...the discs would be rejected 70% of the time..and I'd end up frustrated beyond belief! Do DVD recorders have the same problem..and how would it be dealt with?
Old 03-05-2008, 08:03 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlColorTVfan View Post
Yeah, DVD is great...but what about being able to record onto a DVD? I had enough troubles with burning audio CD's on my computer...the discs would be rejected 70% of the time..and I'd end up frustrated beyond belief! Do DVD recorders have the same problem..and how would it be dealt with?
I am surprised that anyone has trouble recording DVDs anymore. I have had both fairly expensive DVD recorders, which did have some problems with compatibility with computer DVD drives early on, and I now have two relatively inexpensive DVD recorder/VCR combos, both of which work like a charm and are compatible with my computer. I figured it was worth buying the combos to have backup video cassette players in case I want to view some old tapes that I don't have time to transfer to DVD. Last year, I did take the time to transfer my vacation videos from Hi-8 (the older ones are starting to show drop outs) to DVDs for archiving. I exchange DVDs of programs each other has missed with friends and have no problems. I have also transfered tapes to DVD and copied them on the computer for fellow New York World's Fair enthusiasts. I have stayed with the DVD-R format, which seems to have settled down as the most common.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlColorTVfan View Post
I have literally hundreds of DVD's recorded off the Satellite movie channels using a Panasonic VCR DVD combo, the thing has been running almost non stop for a year and a half!

I've also dubbed several hundred pre-macrovision VHS tapes to DVD with it and it actually upscales VHS so it looks better.

As far as burning DVD's on the PC the burner makes all the difference, I've had a 99% success rate with a Plextor 12x burner, my previous burner was a Lite-On and it was temperamental from day one and died in 6 months.