Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Dead from the neck up

My 16 is done.

Here is a shot of the set fully assembled. I plan to display this at this year's ETF convention. I thought I'd throw everyone off and use an off air shot.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:36 PM
Once Ran Amok in Kent

Nice job!!

Who's the babe with the smirk?
The good deeds a man has done before defend him.
--Bhagavad-Gita
Old 03-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Dead from the neck up

She was a guest on Dr. Phil.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

The set looks great, you did fine work on it. That just happens to be the same model RCA my parents bought when color first came out. I have no idea what model it is but it even looks like the same cabinet. We had that in our house at least 10 years before they traded it off for a newer RCA.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:40 PM
Dead from the neck up

Thank you for the kind words. I can get the model number. This cabinet is not original. The original was rain damaged, but will refinish nicely. I found this cabinet empty, with the back, sans the CRT cup. The other cabinet is in need of guts. I have an extra jug just in case.
Audiokarma
Old 03-10-2005, 08:17 PM
Electronics Accumulator

Wow - that looks great! Nice work! I love that cabinet, and the picture looks nice and sharp. I know that the picture got a little washed out by the camera (it's pretty hard to get a good photo of a TV screen) but it still looks good and crisp. Very nice.

BTW - how's the picture compare to a "modern" television. I know that I've heard from some people that they remember that the color wasn't that great on the older sets, but I would imagine that a properly restored set should perform very nicely, probably better than when it was new, not only because of the modern, high quality capacitors, but also becasue broadcast technology has improved, as well as recording technology.

-Ian
Old 03-10-2005, 09:52 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

There's just something so-ELEGANT- about a roundie-kinda cool & sophisticated, a bit magical perhaps. When I was a wee sprout, roundies were all we had, they were muy expensivo, so seeing one was a real treat. Excellent job !!-Sandy G.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:16 AM
heathkit tv

As I understand it, not taking in account any digital or surround sound stuff---today's broadcast quality is inferior in many ways to the older signals......they no longer comply with some of the color standards that were originally developed so that current broadcasts are wonky when it comes to accuracy of color.

Nice set by the way....I really gotta get my buttocks into gear and fire up my 16 too.

Anthony
Old 03-11-2005, 04:45 AM
On Land

Dave,

Your 16 looks great! Don't ya just love it when you finally get to the point of getting a project finished and you can just sit back and enjoy it?! Looks like you'll be enjoying this one for some time to come!

How many more tv projects do ya have to finish? Funny to think that this particular number never really goes down!

My current location: Columbia River, Kalama, Washington State

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:55 PM
Dead from the neck up

At my location, I have 9 waiting and one underway. In my mother's basement, I have 3 other color roundies, a Zenith BW tabletop, a Stewart-Warner 12" and an RCA color portable. I hope to score a few more at the ETF swapmeet.

To answer a few more questions, the picture isn't quite as sharp as a modern set, but is still quite viewable. When I snapped the pic, I had a moment of sunlight galring through the window. For antennas, I use clip leads. I will eventually make a "community antenna" and tie all working sets into the VCR. That way, I can watch Archie Bunker on any set I wish to.

I still need to put the dial lamp in for the UHF and make an antenna block. Otherwise, all is OK. I only play the 16 for a few hours at a time. It still has the original flyback. The jug may have been a replacement, but uses the RCA meatball. I'll give the purity a little touchup when I put the UHF dial light back in. I am also in need of chassis mounting bolts. This set sat a few years disassembled. Three cats in the house is not a good thing here.

And, yes. I love watching my roundies.
Audiokarma