Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:37 PM
Motorola Minion

For a variety of reasons, I will take possession of a 1990's or later BPC set and if it works and has video inputs, it goes to one of several charity-supporting thrift shops located in our post-industrial ghettos (small city or big town with concentrated rentals).
They actually sell them for $10-20 to poor folks who have had their LCD TV's stolen. I call them theft-resistant.

Otherwise, I will move them along to the county waste management centers who will accept them along with fluorescent lamps, etc. The county I WORK in has one I have dropped off stuff at. They also seem to get stuff the e-waste bulk collectors will not take such as console radios and stereos.
I rescued a 1933 RCA model 280 and a 1968 RCA console HiFi there! They begged me to take them as they did not know what to do, though someone was permitted to drop it off. They turnt me away last summer when they found out I was not a resident.

The county I live in has a much more structured, drive-thru household hazardous waste facility that allows only one vehicle in at a time and closes the doors while you're in there. They will take all the e-waste for free but they get squirrelly and act weird if you look around at what others have dropped off. I saw a group of about 5 post-war TV sets that were diverted and made into a display. I complimented the one guy on it and the next time I was in, the TVs were gone. he said someone stole them. They still won't let you take anything tho.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 02-16-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

///

Last edited by andy; 11-18-2021 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:22 PM
I love old stuff

Some people managed to save old stuff from recycling centers (officially they aren't allowed to give you anything, but unofficially...)... but I couldn't save no tv sets. Man, and there was a pile of late '60's' - early '70's Romanian tv sets. Shouldda have tryed my luck last year with 2 portbale sets (not Romanian made), but I was a shy dumb.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:08 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
The county I live in has a much more structured, drive-thru household hazardous waste facility that allows only one vehicle in at a time and closes the doors while you're in there. They will take all the e-waste for free but they get squirrelly and act weird if you look around at what others have dropped off. I saw a group of about 5 post-war TV sets that were diverted and made into a display. I complimented the one guy on it and the next time I was in, the TVs were gone. he said someone stole them. They still won't let you take anything tho.
That's one case in which stealing is the only way to get something worthless to most people. If whoever is in charge is willing to bend the rules, even better.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:26 PM
Banned

I once saw over at the county landfill near me (which is the only place that takes old CRT Televisions anymore near me) a 1970s vintage Zenith Space Phone TV in the Recycling Container where the TVs go to be recycled, if it weren't for the fact that my kind of annoying staff person was with me that day, I would of nabbed that TV out of that Container and Brought it home with me, but since my staff person was with me I couldn't get it so I'm sure that by now that TV has long since been smashed...
Audiokarma