Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:00 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio
Filtering.That reminds my of the old Kmart here in town.Every time they key it up.You get blasted with a 60 Hz hum through out the entire store.A bad ground somewhere.
One time we were @ this store and i waited in the car for my parents.. I had my CB in the car,i had my echo on and I keyed up on channel 19.... Heh,my father came running out of the store and said I could be heard loud and clear over thier intercom system!! (If I was on FM they wouldnt of)

I was in the parking lot and my radio only did about 10 watts I think and i completly overpowered it???

MUST HAVE BEEN A CRAPPY SYSTEM!!! (I mean no shielding at all)

Man oh man......

Last edited by Dude111; 09-04-2017 at 02:50 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:06 PM
Motorola Minion

This thread brings back more recent memories for me. I was the "electrical" design part of an Architectural design team who detailed and specified new construction, additions and renovations to school buildings.

Reading these stories about equipment in other places including the "great white north" is amusing. Of the many schools I ever visited from 1989-2011, all were in central and southeastern PA with two out in the rural wildlands of western PA. I could comment about everything from the old TVs lurking in forgotten AV rooms to the fire alarms to transformers and switchgear rooms.

The intercom switch units were all made by either of DuKane - Rauland - Simplex - Bogen and Telecor. Some creative integrator-vendors had some kluges but we usually had only 3-5 in our specs depending on who was providing present service. I had good interactions with local vendors but they sure were competitive. They all had a gimmick or trademark like the class change tones, or the speakers. if one 'effed up a job in the same district, I had the hammer to make them fix the issue. If they did not, no bid accepted for their equipment.

The majority of speakers were Atlas Soundolier and Lowell, also Quam-Nichols and others were often branded Simplex, etc. Ill have to come up with some more after looking at my old design notes.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 08-31-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Me too, but my social life was practically non-existent so it all balanced out. Little wonder I got the "Most unique personality" title in my senior year.

There's one thing I didn't think of mentioning, the intercom at my high school also was a two-way unit with no visible microphone.

On a side note, confusion about whether stairwell doors were to be pushed or pulled was a running joke there. Those wood frame doors with large, single panes of wire-reinforced glass and identical handles on both sides were pop quizzes in themselves.

I was low keyed in high school just to get it over with and keep the grades up.Also keep the eyes moving around.LOL.

I think the speaker was the mike at my schools .I remember the teacher had to throw the toggle switch or lever to talk which was above the thermostat and the light switch bank. Would not mind finding a service manuals on these school PA system.I got to play with Google and look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
One time we were @ this store and i waited in thec ar for my parents.. I had my CB in the car,i had my echo on and 'i keyed up on channel 19.... Heh,my father came running out ofthe store and said I could be heard loud and clear over thier intercom system!! (If I was on FM they wouldnt of)

I was in the parking lot and my radio only did about 10 watts I think and i completly overpowered it???

Man oh man......
Hahahaha.I remember those CB days.The big CB craze .Neighbors blasting in on Channel 5 WNEW NYC when I was watching the Flintstones and a cheap small battery operated kids PA system I had when I was a kid.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:25 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
One time we were @ this store and i waited in thec ar for my parents.. I had my CB in the car,i had my echo on and 'i keyed up on channel 19.... Heh,my father came running out ofthe store and said I could be heard loud and clear over thier intercom system!! (If I was on FM they wouldnt of)

Man oh man......
Heh, I did the same thing when I was at a drive through at my bank, I keyed up the CB on channel 19 and it was blasted trough the bank's PA system for everyone to hear.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:30 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

I remember my elementary school, built in 1968, had clocks with an integral speaker in them for the offices to respond to a call from the room. IIRC, the clock read "SIMPLEX." I also remember the school had a number of Setchell/Carlson TV's that were designed for school use.
Audiokarma
Old 09-04-2017, 02:52 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Ah good old simplex!!!!
Old 09-04-2017, 03:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowhereMan 1966 View Post
Heh, I did the same thing when I was at a drive through at my bank, I keyed up the CB on channel 19 and it was blasted trough the bank's PA system for everyone to hear.
This reminds me of those store PA system pranks I watched on YT a couple years ago.It was funny when they page a fake person with a name thats close to curse words .
Old 09-05-2017, 10:55 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
This reminds me of those store PA system pranks I watched on YT a couple years ago.It was funny when they page a fake person with a name thats close to curse words .
Inspired by The Simpsons no doubt, and those pranks were inspired by the Tube Bar recordings, a series of crank calls two guys made to a local bar in the mid-70s. The owner was known for his hot temper and that was their way of getting back at him. It can have its pitfalls though.

"Hi, I'm looking for a friend of mine; last name Jass, first name Hugh."
"Uh, hold on, I'll check. Hugh Jass! Would somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass?"
"I'm Hugh Jass."
"Telephone."
Old 09-05-2017, 12:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Inspired by The Simpsons no doubt, and those pranks were inspired by the Tube Bar recordings, a series of crank calls two guys made to a local bar in the mid-70s. The owner was known for his hot temper and that was their way of getting back at him. It can have its pitfalls though.

"Hi, I'm looking for a friend of mine; last name Jass, first name Hugh."
"Uh, hold on, I'll check. Hugh Jass! Would somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass?"
"I'm Hugh Jass."
"Telephone."
I figured that.I figure some was from Beavis and Butthead too.

These guys I watched were in the store picking up the phone in the isle which punched in the PA code and make the message over the PA while another guy walking around the store videotaping the shoppers response as the announcements came over the system.Taking chances to get busted. More likely they were probably recorded by the security cameras .
Old 09-05-2017, 02:10 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Somehow,I managed to escape being called for "A/V" duty at all the skewls I was sentenced to.. Grade School, 1963/71 Don't remember much about it,we had generic bitch boxes w/industrial grade speakers in wooden 15 degree "Tilt" mountings. McCallie ? Shit, the NEWEST part of the academic bldg. dated to 1919-There was ALWAYS a "Pygmy"-7th-8th grade kid loitering around, wanting to "Hang" w/the Kewl Kids...You could usually get a pygmy to do damn near anything, if you promised to not give him a"Swirly"- Stick his head in a commode & flush it at the same time. It was up to your good nature as to whether YOU flushed said Loo B4 sticking the Pygmy's head in it...We had to stop that fun & games, tho-One of the most Obnoxious Pygmies of all turned out to be the mayor of Chattanooga's son or nephew, & HE saw NO humour atall in that..
Old 09-05-2017, 08:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Talking about speaker grilles .As I remember my schools had metal grilles "No wood here"since all 3 schools I attend were built in the 1960's

I was not much into the A/V thing in school but helped run the 16mm projectors in some classes in high school and the record players,cassette recorders and the video VTR..In music class in middle school I spliced reel to reel tapes and kept up the maintenance in the recorder there. I cant recall the name brand of the recorder but the projectors were B&H blue or green cased projectors.The record players were Califone.Cassette recorder/player were B&H.The VTR was a Panasonic 1/2 inch reel to reel recorder.I cant recall the TV monitor brand but it probably was Panasonic too.