Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-11-2007, 03:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Macrovision and Vertical Retrace Lines

Hi;
Thought I'd pass on some information regarding Macrovision and Vertical Retrace lines.

Several months ago I decided to do some research and find the best way of dealing with these EXTREMELY annoying problems that plague most older TV's both color and black and white. Initially I was enticed into buying a "video stabilizer" for about $30.00 that claimed to "fix it all". To my disappointment I found that it really didn't do a very good job of removing the lines and dots, and it also caused the color to shift and the luminance levels to vary. Since it created as many problems as it supposedly "fixed", it was NOT my idea of a cure all.

I read several posts here on AK and discovered in one of them a link to a web site of a German fellow by the name of Darius K. Mottaghian. On that web site Darius posted information about a Universal Video Board (UVB) that he designed and built that can remove both Vertical Retrace Lines and the Macrovision Dots and Dashes. After several e-mails (and many questions) I decided to purchase one of the UVB kits from Darius . It arrived here in NJ in about a week. It took several months before I had the time to actually sit down and assemble the kit. It does requires a 5 volt dc regulated power supply, and in my case, since I wanted to process signal from both my VCR and my DVD player, I needed an RF Modulator as well. All together, I probably spent about $60 to $70.

The results speak for themselves. I now have an absolutely flawless color picture with NO retrace or Macrovision lines and no color shifting. The results for the black and white TV set is just as impressive. I've attached some before and after pictures for you to see. There's also a photograph of the UVB kit module that I constructed. The UVB board is small, as are many of the components that go on the board, so a good eye and a very small tip on your soldering pencil are essential. Darius was very patient, courteous, and forthcoming with information before, during and after my purchase from him.

The TV's I used for the attached pictures are an RCA CTC 9 color set, and a 1958 Philco Predicta Barber Pole set.

I have no affiliation with Darius or his UVB kit other than being a very satisfied customer, but I think when you find a good product and a good person behind it...it deserves some friendly good publicity.

Here's a link to the web site:
[url]http://bs.cyty.com/menschen/e-etzold/archiv/TV/uvb/uvb_e.htm

I would highly recommend the unit for anyone wanting to get rid of those horrible vertical retrace lines and macrovision dots and dashes.

Bob

Last edited by Ampico-kid; 04-18-2009 at 07:35 AM.