Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

I then had to add a little filler around the edges because the veneer on the cabinet had its edges slightly rounded.

I then noticed that on the front face, the lower left hand edge along the bottom was not "square" with the front of the bottom. The outer edge was forward a bit and the edge closet to the middle was back some. I removed some wood screws and using a hammer and a wood block, I broke the stiffeners loose both along the bottom and the side. I then glued and clamped the front face even along the bottom edge and reinstalled the screws. After a little wood filling and some sanding, the cabinet was ready for finishing.

I sprayed on a coat of sealer on the cabinet, grille, mask, and hatch in preparation for the grain filler.

I used Mohawk "Mahogany" grain filler #M608-4236 thinned a little with lacquer thinner. I used a credit card to apply the filler and went across the grain and again at 45 degrees to the grain. After a little bit, I used burlap and rubbed the filler across the grain. The color now is a deep chocolate brown. I did the same for the grille, mask, and hatch. This will dry overnight.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Very nice. I think yours is going to have the most authentic looking refinishes of all that I've seen. When these are refinished with a light tone against nearly black trim, they just don't look right. It needs to be all shades of brown.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks Decojoe67.

I'm going to spray the inside while the grain filler is on the outside. Looks like a mahogany stain and some very dark toner was used. The bottom is the darkest. I'll probably use Mohawk Extra Dark Walnut.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

I did a test strip on the new veneer I applied. I glued down some of the veneer I trimmed off on a piece of 3/4 ply. I then applied my grain filler and when it was dry, I sanded it off. I then divided it into 3 sections. The left section was stained with Mohawk "Brown Mahogany" #M545-2296, the middle section was stained with Minwax "Red Mahogany" #225, and the right most section was left bare.

I think the front face and top will get the Brown Mahogany because it is much lighter and I don't want that part of the cabinet too dark. I think it will match the original color pretty good.
The sides, seeing they are new veneer and pretty light so they will get the Minwax Red Mahogany. This will be a light application of stain to help control how dark the sides get.

When done staining, I'll look at a light application of some toner. We'll see. We have to get there before I decide what needs to be done.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Today I sprayed the inside of the cabinet while the grain filler is still on the outside.

I used Mohawk "Dark Red Mahogany" #M101-0227 and sprayed the entire insides. I then used Mohawk "Extra Dark Walnut" #M101-0209 on the bottom and the aft edges where the back gets screwed to.

Then I used a small touch up brush and brushed on some black in the cooling holes on each side along with the knob cut outs etc. For this I used Mohawk "Black Satin Lacquer" #M104-S224.

Here are a couple of pictures of the inside. One before and one after.

Audiokarma
Old 04-12-2017, 08:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Over the last several days, I sanded off the grain filler. I used some 150 grit and an orbital palm sander at first, then switched to 220 grit. Then final sanding of 600 grit. I then wiped and vacuumed off all the pieces in preparation to staining.

Here are the pieces ready for stain.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

I then stain the pieces tonight. The sides were stained using Minwax "Red Mahogany" #225 and all the rest with Mohawk "Brown Mahogany" #M545-2296. I used a clean soft cloth to wipe on the stain and another clean cloth to wipe it off.

Here are the pieces after staining.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Hey Crist I had a question about laying the Veneer.

I believe you said you overlapped the seams by 1/64" and then sanded them?
How does that work exactly, does the edge sticking up just drop into place as you sand through it?

I've always tried butting the edges together, but that's difficult if they're not completely square.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
Hey Crist I had a question about laying the Veneer.

I believe you said you overlapped the seams by 1/64" and then sanded them?
How does that work exactly, does the edge sticking up just drop into place as you sand through it?

I've always tried butting the edges together, but that's difficult if they're not completely square.
With the overlap, I then take one edge and butt them together and then run the iron down the seam forcing them to butt together. The sanding comes when the butt joint doesn't lay down completely flat.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Today I applied 2 light coats of Mohawk #M101-0229 Brown Mahogany Toner. Then 2 light coats of Mohawk #M102-8000 E-Z Vinyl Sealer which is a 13 oz. aerosol can. I use the aerosol can because it is easier at this stage. After the side and bottom bands and all the trim is painted, then I'll use my sprayer and spray on 2 final coats of the E-Z Vinyl Sealer.

I kept thinking that I got the toner on a little too "heavy" thus the finish is too dark. But when I compared it to the original pictures, the color and tone is pretty close! Of course when I add the side bands and bottom trim, which are very dark, that might make the "field" appear a little lighter. We'll see. On the top hatch I did a little sunburst and left it a little lighter because I wanted to show some grain.

Here are some pictures of the cabinet side-by-side for comparison taken with basically the same light and in the same room. I included a picture of the hatch too.

Last edited by Crist Rigott; 04-14-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 04-14-2017, 08:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think you're doing great so far. Although under bright light my original lid/mask/grill does not appear very dark and shows a lot of grain, in normal lighting it still is quite dark. I feel it's better a tad too dark than too light.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
I think you're doing great so far. Although under bright light my original lid/mask/grill does not appear very dark and shows a lot of grain, in normal lighting it still is quite dark. I feel it's better a tad too dark than too light.
Thanks for the comments. I think I might have the hatch and mask a little too light right now. I'll sleep on it and see what it looks like in natural light.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

Just wanted to mention that I got one of those "Golden Throat" repro tags from Vintage Radio Labels. Well, I'll start with the good - it'll add a bit of interest to my repro back for an RCA radio. The bad - it's washed out looking on a low grade paper with rough edges. It's not even a sticker. Just a card. The picture on their site is 100% deceiving. I'd put the value at $1.00-$2.00 tops - that should include postage!
Old 04-16-2017, 09:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

His labels are junk! And his customer service is just as terrible. He tried to tell me that the label he sent was what I ordered. I told him it looked like nothing from the website. Also that it wasn't even the correct size. He then told me those labels come in different sizes and I should have told him what size I needed. I told him a decent merchant would include that info on the website especially if they come in different sizes. I think all along he was trying to BS me. In the end he refunded my money and told me not to order anything anymore. I told him that won't be a problem.

The guys products aren't very good and his merchant skills match his products.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigott View Post
His labels are junk! And his customer service is just as terrible. He tried to tell me that the label he sent was what I ordered. I told him it looked like nothing from the website. Also that it wasn't even the correct size. He then told me those labels come in different sizes and I should have told him what size I needed. I told him a decent merchant would include that info on the website especially if they come in different sizes. I think all along he was trying to BS me. In the end he refunded my money and told me not to order anything anymore. I told him that won't be a problem.

The guys products aren't very good and his merchant skills match his products.
As much as I hate to bash a guy who tries to repro needed items in our hobby, what's right is right. I think it's good to give fellow collectors the heads-up.

Last edited by decojoe67; 04-16-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Audiokarma