Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Smile Ten Commandments on ABC 3/22

Hi: Did anyone watch "The Ten Commandments" on ABC last Saturday night on vintage color sets? I caught a couple of hours, and took a few screen shots off the old Haviland CTC-4 with the 21AX CRT without the "A" suffix. Not the sharpest, or brightest picture, but the vivid colors would knock your socks off! The "electric blues" are outrageous, toward almost ultra-violet. I'll try to post a shot or two, but I haven't had much luck doing so.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:19 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Yeah, snippets here and there such as the parting of the red sea, which looked real impressive when I first saw the movie way back when I was sixteen, but looks amateurish now next to all the CG magic we see today. Picked up the video OTA on a digital channel with the Magnavox converter box feeding baseband to the CT-100. I had the Color control cranked up a little extra to give it that Technicolor look.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:54 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Watched "The Robe" on DVD in honor of the Holiday. Color was fine on the HD set, but resolution a little lacking when zoomed out to full width. Hope they reissue all these oldies on Blu-Ray. Would have recorded "The Ten Commandments" on the HD PVR if I had paid attention to when it was on.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:03 PM
AK Member

I have a few of these movies on LaserDiscs. Great old stuff with, yes, some intense colors. I watch them these days mostly either on a 90s B&O TV or via CRT projection, not on any real vintage gear. For every one with those vivid colors, there is at least one that is a little washed-out, though.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

The 11th commandment

This one came along some time later. It said something to the effect of "Thou shalt not watch programs in B&W when color is available"
Old 03-26-2008, 07:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

I used a Borders gift card to buy a DVD copy of "Inherit The Wind",one of my favorite plays, after I read that Borders may soon slide into receivership. Since it is in B/W, it will not be viewed on a vintage color TV, but probably on the 13" Toshiba in the kitchen (BTW, not a bad set when the brightness is cranked down to a reasonable level).
Old 03-26-2008, 09:26 PM
AK Member

I watched a portion of it (fantastic movie) but on a modern CRT. It's funny, they always show it around Easter when it has everything to do with Passover and the Feast of Tabernacles.