Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2012, 07:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Mid 1980's School Record Player

OK, it's not old, just "old school."

Just picked up this little Hamilton Electric Corporation model 910 manual record player. I bought it strictly for my collection of 78's.

Replacing the capacitors brought the amplifier to life, and a bit of oil took care of the motor. I bought a knock-off Astatic 81T powerpoint stylus for it on eGroan, and didnt realize what I had bought until I tried it out.

This stylus is a 3 mil sapphire for 78's. It plays the really old Victor and Columbia discs nicely, but the later 1930's and up 'electric' recordings distort like crazy. I've got it tracking at nearly 5 grams, as this will only be used for 78's. The tone arm is plastic, and vibrates like crazy when playing newer 78's.

I'm going to try a real Astatic 81T before I do anything else. I'm amost afraid that the tonearm itself is the problem.

I trust the knowledge here. Think I'm wasting my time with this, or should I be digging up a real 78 stylus for my N91 Shure magnetic cartridge on my Miracord 50H?

The little Hamilton is compact and fairly rugged. With the re-cap today, it sounds vastly better and stronger than before.

Here's a picture from the net. Mine is like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg il_170x135_295017168.jpg (8.3 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by holmesuser01; 04-04-2012 at 09:34 PM.