Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hitachi CMP4203W Plasma 42" set question.

This plasma set came out of my theatre. It has performed flawlessly since 2005, and was only replaced because the company has gone with another set provider.

It only has regular computer monitor inputs on it. Am I stuck with using it with a computer? There are no NTSC composite video, s-video inputs, or tuner inputs.

I can't find much on this unit on line. Maybe I'm not asking the right questions.

Any ideas here?
Old 10-19-2014, 07:37 PM
Administrator

I believe you can hook it up to component video using something like this.

http://www.cablewholesale.com/produc...30h1-50200.php
Old 10-19-2014, 07:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
I believe you can hook it up to component video using something like this.

http://www.cablewholesale.com/produc...30h1-50200.php
Would these RCA connectors be for DVD/Blu-Ray players with the RGB outputs? If so, I may just have to upgrade my players just to use this beast.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Yes, but there are standard DVD players with the RGB outputs also, most of them in the last five years or so, even some of the Cyberhome cheapies.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
Yes, but there are standard DVD players with the RGB outputs also, most of them in the last five years or so, even some of the Cyberhome cheapies.
Thanks, Eric. I'll do some checking and get back here on this.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm not familiar with that model number, but I suspect it may be a commercial variant of the 42PD5000 or similar. Googling your model number gets me listings for boards I have seen many times - I've fixed a lot of those power supplies.

Assuming it behaves as a 42PD5000:

These only have a DVI and VGA input on the unit itself by default. For domestic use they were normally sold with an outboard "media box" that contained an analog TV tuner and the usual complement of AV and component video inputs and outputted DVI.

As others have suggested you can feed component video into the VGA input. You will need to go into the settings menu and a select component. From memory there is also PC / not PC setting. If it's on PC it will only be expecting standard PC modes.

You can feed HDMI into the DVI input with an adapter. They don't do HDCP and some sources don't correctly ID them. Manually set the source to 480p RGB if possible.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:58 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01 View Post
Would these RCA connectors be for DVD/Blu-Ray players with the RGB outputs? If so, I may just have to upgrade my players just to use this beast.
I have the service manual, and here's the page dealing with the inputs and some other specs. Hope it helps.

BTW, It's a re-wrapped 42PMA400XX model.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!

Last edited by Findm-Keepm; 09-29-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
I have the service manual, and here's the page dealing with the inputs and some other specs. Hope it helps.

BTW, It's a re-wrapped 42PMA400XX model.
Thanks for this info.

When this was new, I was still using dial up to get online. I've worked on regular TV's for years, but have worked on 2 computer monitors. This will be interesting.

We had 2 of these in the lobby of our theatre. The other one failed at least twice. The service company came every 6 months and wiped down the backof the sets, and cleaned the screens, and left.

Both of them ran off of a little Dell computer up in the projection booth, so I'm not too sure where to go to convert it to anything else that I can use with the equipment I have on hand.

I haven't connected it to my computer, yet, to see whats up. I'm leery of leaning it up on the wall to run it. It's heavy!
Old 10-20-2014, 05:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

I hooked it up to the computer. Beautiful picture from the RGB input.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:51 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 10-27-2014, 04:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

It came with a wall-mount bracket. I'm not very interested in attaching it to a wall, though.

I ran it for about 4 hours on the computer. Runs fine, and after it was on for an hour or so, I began to smell the familiar smell of movie theatre popcorn oil. Soon, I could smell it all over the house.

I looked closely thru the venting holes in the back cover. I think it will be good to give it a good gentle cleaning with a tiny brush that I save for such work. The heat sinks are dirty.

I need to look on line for adaptors that will work with this machine. So far, I like it.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

The flatscreen mentioned in this thread until now is installed in a restaurant now. It's working beautifully for them.

Bringing this ancient topic back to life. I'm now running the second Hitachi plasma set. Pulled the back off and cleaned tons of filth off of the chassis and modules. The fans were thoroughly plugged with dust and popcorn oil residue.

Like the other one, there is nothing but RGB inputs here. This set was serviced every 6 months... cabinet wipedown, and a quick screen cleaning. No other repairs.

Is there a chance that I can get the tuner and composite input adaptor for this thing? I realize it's old, but it would be much more useful to me with something besides the RGB input. Anybody got one that has bit the dust since I started this topic in 2014?

I'm looking for the outboard component video module. Have no idea what it is known as from Hitachi.

Last edited by holmesuser01; 08-17-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

I used to use a ViewSonic VGA TV Tuner back when I used a Gateway Destination 32" CRT monitor as a TV. Worked great, had a remote and all.

I have a Sabrent (cheapo) VGA tuner now. It works, I use it to run a small 9" LCD monitor as a TV. Quality wasn't a huge concern on a screen that small.

I never had much success using those component -> vga cable adapters on monitors though. But there are converter boxes out there for just about any format imaginable. Just put "VGA tv tuner" or "VGA to HDMI" in ebay and let the chinese wonder flow, lol.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for your quick reply.