Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-22-2002, 12:15 PM
On Land

Exclamation Lookin for a certain Zenith...

Hey Guys

I am looking to find a particular Zenith TV. It is the Zenith 5040W, using chassis 29JC20. A picture of it is below.

This is a 21" color set with a round crt. Listed in Sams 599-2 with a date of Oct 62.

This is a set that i grew up watching as a kid, and it has been gone since the early 80's. I would love to find another like it. If anyone knows of one or has one that they are willing to part with, I would appreciate it! Even if you aren't close to Texas, it will give me a good excuse to take a road trip!!!

Thanks for any help you can give!!!

Charlie :)

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:25 PM
On Land

Me... Christmas 1971... and that old Zenith. It played till 1975, and then just became a TV stand for a new 19" RCA.

Now, just guessing, it is probably sitting in someone's house with the guts removed and a big fish-tank sitting in the center of it! Why the hell do people do that??? They can't go to Walmart and buy a stand for fish tanks??? I have seen a few fish-tank TV sets, and it just makes my stomache grumble!

Old 08-24-2002, 08:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

I recently saw a set very similar to this one on eBay and almost bought it. Perhaps if it was recently enough, you could search and find out who bought it and if they'd want to sell it. All my 21" color sets are 1963-1965 models, a Sylvania, an RCA and an Admiral. I just sold a 1966 Zenith 24MC32 about a month ago. I will look for a 29JC20 and will buy and restore it if it's in NE Ohio or NW Pennsylvania. I just obtained a convergence generator and am expecting my vectorscope and degaussing coil to arrive this week. Those items will complete my vintage tv shop. Incidentally, the oldest Zenith I've ever serviced was a 26KC20 ... installed a damper tube in '82. The owner of the set let some other tech talk him into buying a GE new in '86 while I was living on campus at Kent State, and I suppose it got scrapped. From the symptom the set's owner described, it sounded like the doubler cap, but the tech blamed the CRT. From what Bill told me, the tech never hooked up a CRT tester.
Old 08-24-2002, 08:25 PM
On Land

I think someone here has a similar Zenith that I saw a pic of... or perhaps it was on a different site. The set they had was from 65 or 66, and was damn near it's twin brother! The tuner seemed to be different, and it used a different chassis. As far as cabinet and trim, it was really close to the 5040w.

With time, I am sure I will stumble across the 5040w.

Old 08-24-2002, 10:58 PM
Administrator

I know for fact Rob has two similar sets....he probably posted the pic.
Old 08-24-2002, 11:53 PM
Banned

Here's a photo of my unrestored '65 Zenith with ultrasonic Space Command 400 remote control option.

Rob
Old 08-25-2002, 12:45 AM
On Land

That's right... now I remember... Rob is looking for a remote for his.

Old 08-25-2002, 10:09 AM
Banned

remote possibility

Charlie, All,

Before I find a ton of Space Command 400 color remote controls show up in my mail box from kind, concerned readers know that I actually have two remotes for this set.

Rob