Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

V11 pin 5 measured from pin4 of v10 measures 232vdc but the SAMs says 70vdc and I cannot get an accurate voltage reading on pins 2 and 5 of the 6sl7 with a digital vom. And v13 pin 2 shows 20k or 520 ohms but it measures 2.2 k this set is going to drive me to drink, omg lol.. Any help out there? I'm also using a glass ballast and tried a ballast made up of resistors.

Last edited by timmy; 03-10-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

I belive that the 20k, 520ohms indicates a range of readings possible, depending on the setting of the horizontal size control... 2.2k is within that range.

As far as the high voltage on the plates of the vertical output tube is concerned, my guess is that your under voltage rated caps may be leaking CRT deflection high voltage back to the output tube (6SL7).

Until you replace the mis-matched under-voltage caps that you have in the vertical output circuit, all bets are off.

jr
Old 03-10-2017, 05:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
I belive that the 20k, 520ohms indicates a range of readings possible, depending on the setting of the horizontal size control... 2.2k is within that range.

As far as the high voltage on the plates of the vertical output tube is concerned, my guess is that your under voltage rated caps may be leaking CRT deflection high voltage back to the output tube (6SL7).

Until you replace the mis-matched under-voltage caps that you have in the vertical output circuit, all bets are off.

jr
I have one correct tubular in there and the other is met film in series made up to 6 kv. With these caps I have in there now I thought it would work for now since I didn't order the rest of the caps.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

What is the value and voltage rating of each of the caps in series?

jr
Old 03-10-2017, 06:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
What is the value and voltage rating of each of the caps in series?

jr
The caps are 5.6 NF at 2 kv each. I have them in series to make up just about the equivalent of a .0047 6kv. My Dvom measures caps this is how I was able to do this, measure the asc cap I have and this is how I got the result using the others.
Audiokarma
Old 03-10-2017, 06:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

You would have to have 3 in series to make a 6 kV rating... 3 5.6 nF in series would only be about 1.8 nF. Do the math, something is wrong in your configuration.

jr
Old 03-11-2017, 06:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

At the risk of sounding like a jerk, this is what you need. It's what I use and all I can say is that they just work.

http://www.justradios.com/ASCcapacitors.html
Old 03-11-2017, 09:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

In a previous post there is a pic of the set working with a really good picture but this will only happen when I parallel a .01 cap or even a 1 meg resistor with the .004 cap at the 6sl7 without that the other pic shown in the previous post is what I got so if these caps are not working then how would I get such a good pic otherwise. I know I need the right caps and I intend to get them but now I feel something else is going on here because when I put the new caps in and if I have the same problem then I'm back to square one looking for it. When I have the cap or resistor paralleled the vert hold works fine but I'm Alittle short on linearity so it seems as if there is another small problem that I'm not finding. I tried another .004 cap and made no difference. Resistance checks at the 6sl7 are right on but on v13 pin 2 SAMs shows it should be 20k to 520 ohms seems like a big swing but I'm getting only 2.2 k .
Old 03-11-2017, 10:19 AM
M is for Memory

And if the incorrect caps ARE causing your problem, and you decide to wait to change them until you've fixed the problem you will only end up chasing your tail forever....
You've already said every other component is good, the most logical move is to start with replacing the two that ain't. If your problem persists then we'll be a LOT more happy to help you trouble shoot it.
Besides how much time have you spent on it, and how much more might you waste on a probable cap issue? That time is probably several times more valuable than the caps.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-19-2017, 07:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ok, all the hv caps are new and still don't have verticle this set is beginning to remind me of the silvertone. Any ideas what may be going on here. It's like it's rolling so much the screen just collapsed. There are 2 caps at the 6sl7, a 100 mmf and a 250 mmf I subbed those as well even tried another .004 cap at the 6sl7 also checked both vert size and hold pots both good 5 meg . There are no resistors that are bad I went over them clipping one leg to be sure. The 6.8 Meg's at the 6sl7 are up Alittle 7.5 meg which my other sets were up around there as well. All the 2.2 meg resistors are good except one I changed. Tried other tubes no change. The b+ and b++ voltages are right on. All Micas in the verticle and horiz I changed one at a time to see if there was any difference from mica to mica still no change. So now I guess I'm looking for one of the pros here to tell me what I may or may not have done. When I first fired the set up for the first time it had vert hold but the pot was maxed to keep it from rolling I then turned it off for some reason or other came back to it and had this crazy verticle problem.
Audiokarma
Old 03-19-2017, 08:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Perhaps you could post a under chassis photo? Might be able to spot something amiss.

jr
Old 03-19-2017, 08:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Perhaps you could post a under chassis photo? Might be able to spot something amiss.

jr
Ok here it is. Sorry upside down again, I pad crap

Last edited by timmy; 04-24-2023 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

This is going to take a while... having a hard time making out much detail under V-11 and V-9 ... also not sure if I see R-60.

jr
Old 03-20-2017, 02:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes r60 and 62 are 10 meg and they are in place. I guess I should think about a possible defective cap like the .1 at the vert hold pot which runs to the vert oscillator. I already had a cap that tested good but was bad in the circuit so that's the next thing I'll be doing.

Last edited by timmy; 03-20-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looks like the .1 should be at the vert size pot, not the vertical hold.

How are you testing the caps?

jr
Audiokarma