Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2010, 12:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

What's so great about RCA?

I recently made a couple of posts in regards to my latest addition which happened to be a Zenith 5111 metal cabinet "roundie" and it didn't take me long to notice that RCA is the most talked about TV on the color TV forum. It's just sort of an odd disappointment to be honest because I haven't messed with any color television in quite a while and I hoped that there would be plenty of posts relating to my set. While I have been on the black and while forum for a number of years I have enjoyed all of the stories of sets made by various interesting, if not downright odd manufacturers. People don't really ever seem to hung up on one thing except maybe, you guessed it, it's an early RCA. I believe it is a model 630-TS or something.

The only real complaint I have with the real old school crowd is the fact that they do sort of keep what is deemed "collectable" or valuable boxed into the forties "roundie" sets. Well, there just isn't enough of that stuff floating around for us all to enjoy. I get aggravated because I have had great looking 50s sets that you can't even give away, much less make a few bucks on. I am glad that the stuff is not sky high, but 50's sets should be more appreciated I think. They look great, often perform well, and the typical 21" crt is plenty of viewing area. The mid fifties Philcos' are bulletproof in my book with a simple and lightweight chassis; they make a nice daily user. Zeniths are supposed to be bulletproof as well, but the only one that I have, a 1958 Space Command, has some weird short that I cant seem to find, something in the vertical output circuit I think.

I will say that I have searched the Color Television forum for Zenith posts and there are some people who seem to think that Zenith sets are desirable and perform well. It seems like I had at least one as a kid when people would often give them (older round tube color sets) to you because they had updated to a rectangular solid state set. I don't remember it being any better or worse than other brands from that era; nothing I owned anyway.