Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:29 PM
VK Member

New Guy Here with a CTC-5 "Wescott"

Hello guys. I am new to this TV collecting thing. Actually I just have one. I picked this CTC-5 RCA "Wescott" Color TV up at an estate sale last week for 5 dollars. I almost passed on it until I realized it was a 50's color TV and thought it might be sort of rare. It is mint with not a scratch on it. I am trying to make a 50's room in my house and this would be a great addition. I have not tried to turn it on yet I want someone to test and look at it first. Does anyone know if there is a TV guy in Michigan that would work on it. Here are a few pictures of it. Also any history or info on this TV would be a great help. Thanks Guys.
IMG_9209.jpg

IMG_9210.jpg

IMG_9211.jpg

IMG_9212.jpg
Old 12-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Welcome to AK, pal ! DON'T turn this baby on until its been checked out by somebody who knows what he's doing-it will undoubtedly need re-capping, possibly a tube or 2.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:42 PM
VK Member

I don't plan on it. I do have a mountain of tubes. I checked a local TV repair place that has been in bussiness for years and the guy said he would check it out for me. He seem to be excited about looking at it.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:53 PM
roundie not so n00b

who wouldnt be excited
Old 12-13-2006, 02:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 02:18 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 12-13-2006, 03:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wow, that's a great score. Santa came early this year!

Ed Reitan's website has a lot of info about early color TVs:

http://www.novia.net/~ereitan/index.html

If you go to the Color Receiver Gallery, you'll see a product brochure for your TV and a few details about that model.

As Sandy G mentioned, it is pretty standard procedure to replace the old capacitors on these sets, to ensure safe and reliable service. They deteriorate with age, and it would be a real shame to damage such a nice set if one of the old electrolytic caps fails.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 12-13-2006, 07:28 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

Where in Michigan?

I'm down in the South Bend area.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Dave,

Welcome to AK. I'm glad you took my advice and posted here. These good folks pretty much echo my comments to you about taking care to have your CTC-5 checked out by a qualified tech. Wonderful, original condition example of this set.

-Steve D.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

You are a lucky man! I am proud to own a -5; they are a different animal than the more common later sets (10,11,12,15,16) and, I feel, an important set. If the picture tube is good everything else will be downhill.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:26 PM
VK Member

Thanks all for your input.

Thanks all for your input. A week ago I knew nothing about these old TV's. But thanks to all of you guys I am learning a lot. If all goes well and I get it re-capped and all that other stuff. How good is the color and picture quality on these old sets. I know it will not be as good as todays TV's but is it still clear and colorful?
Audiokarma
Old 12-14-2006, 08:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

[QUOTE=bigolds98 How good is the color and picture quality on these old sets. I know it will not be as good as todays TV's but is it still clear and colorful?[/QUOTE]
Welcome
I like the cabinet on your set.
Here are some screen shots of a ctc5. I use this cabinet and picture tube to work on the other ctc 5 chassis. {jig} This set has a glass picture tube in it but yours should look about the same. When you get it fixed I think you will like your set.
Good luck
Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tvs 004.jpg (22.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg l s 2.jpg (41.4 KB, 68 views)
Old 12-14-2006, 09:00 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

How is that for you? Keep in mind how hard it is to take a good picture of ANY tv!

So let's see, another guy from Michigan who likes big cars? How have we not met?

BTW, if that set came from an estate sale I passed up in Roseville last weekend, I'm going to shoot myself.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:13 PM
VK Member

Great. Color

Thanks for the sample shots Roundscreen and Carmine. The color look GReat. I now want it to work more than ever. To Carmine. I live in Madison Heights and have a 1972 Olds 98. The estate sale was at 15 Mile and Ryan. The house was a 70's time capsul. I also bought a 1976 Sony Betamax in mint condition with the anolog timer a 40's Crosley Bakelite radio, TV, and a mint new in the box mid 60's Microwave I spent a total of 20 dollars for all of it. The bummer thing is I was at a sale a few weeks ago in Bloomfield and the house was full of old radios and I would say 8 TV's. They looked to be early 70's color though.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wow, that was a great find! A bargain at ten times the price.

I like the CTC-5's. As for picture quality, they're quite watchable when working properly, but keep in mind that the 50's-era color CRTs have pretty low brightness compared with color CRTs starting in the mid-60's. [Poor brightness was one of many contributing reasons why color sets didn't sell very well back then.]

Also, since you're new, a few care-and-feeding tips might be handy once you've gotten it restored:

These sets have no built-in degaussing coil, so if you move/re-orient the TV, or you get any large magnets near it, you may need to demagnetize the CRT. (there have been various threads in the past on AK about how best to do this)

Due to their particular electronic design, the static convergence appears to "drift" pretty easily on these sets, so you'll probably want to at least learn how to reconverge the set yourself. Fortunately, all the convergence controls on a CTC-5 are accessible from the front of the set (after you remove the "pencil box" housing the secondary controls).

I'm sure there are some other "user" tips like this that would be helpful, but those are two that came to mind off the bat.

Have fun!
Old 12-14-2006, 01:59 PM

Surprisingly good when they are working right. For best effect, they need to be in a dark or dark-ish room.

Welcome to AK!

John
Audiokarma