Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Curb find Insignia CRT 30" wide screen set

No big deal with the name brand but last week as I was coming back home from my friends house .I found a 30 inch Insignia CRT TV set along with a JVC regular 27 incher. As always the power cords were nipped off by the copper freaks or the owner.

The other day I attach a new cord on it and it worked after I fixed to sticky on off switch.I could not find a date on it but it probably was made 8 years ago because its pre DTV ready with the army of jacks in the back for a tuner and other video sources and the decoding circuitry inside the set .I got the service manual from the fine guys at Freeservicemanual.net.The pix still looks sharp on this set and the owner probably went for a big flat screen to replace it.In 3 years I probably fine the flat screen in front of their house since they dont last like the CRT sets.

I did not try the JVC set yet but stay tune for it here in the rectangle set forum for it.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

That set is probably a rebadged Orion.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
That set is probably a rebadged Orion.
Thanks .It has a LG pix tube " I will get the numbers later and post" and the service manual looks like the same as the Xoceco brand sets from China.They make store rebadged TVs.

Later today I will install the new power cord and hire a fork lift driver to move it around.

I'll take inside pix later and post since this is the first widescreen I've got in here.Just looking at back of the pix tube.It looks like the length of a 18 wheeler trailer.According to the service manual .The normal HV is about 35 KV.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Widescreen CRT sets are pretty rare. I'd hold onto it.

I have a 34" trinitron that I'm hanging on to because it's a widescreen set (and perfect for playing DVD's on!) Weighs as much as a full grown man but it gives a beautiful picture.

And yours was made more then 8 years ago. Try closer to 10-12.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRX37 View Post
Widescreen CRT sets are pretty rare. I'd hold onto it.

I have a 34" trinitron that I'm hanging on to because it's a widescreen set (and perfect for playing DVD's on!) Weighs as much as a full grown man but it gives a beautiful picture.

And yours was made more then 8 years ago. Try closer to 10-12.
Thanks.Yes I agree. I figure about more then 10 years ago myself after posting it.These sets will outlast the flatscreens that replaced them.

Hahahahaha.Yea about 145lbs according to the specs.I think the JVC set weighted in more.
Audiokarma