Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2015, 06:34 PM
Bob Galanter

Blessed by the God of collecting

A while back back a fellow I know, who is in the business of recycling electronics, called me because he knows I collect old tv sets. He was hired by the heirs of a hoarder who passed away. Seems, back in the day, the hoarder would drive around his neighborhood on weekends and pick up tv curb finds. Back then there were probably lots to choose from.

Due to reasons I will not go into, I was not allowed to go with the recycler to the house that was being cleaned out. However I had the recycler photograph the hoard and email the photos to me. That way I was able to tell him which sets to keep and which ones to send off to the crusher. I know that many of you would cringe at the number of sets that went to the crusher. Unfortunately we cant save them all, and the ones that went to the crusher were the common garden variety 21" and 23" B&W sets of the late 50's and 60's.

There were about 6 or so, common variety 10BP4 sets which I had him save and also the ones described below.

Yesterday I went to the recycler's warehouse. I tested all the 10BP4 sets and there was not a single set with a usable crt. So I passed on all those sets.

I took home the following shown in the photos below.

1....Admiral C322 21" color set. Blonde cabinet is extremely nice, however the original 21AXP22 had a brightner on it and it is dead for all practical purposes. I tried everything to revive it but there is to little emissive material on the cathodes to be of any use.

2....RCA CTC5 Whitby Deluxe. Very nice blonde cabinet in real wood veneers. 21AXP22 was replaced in early 1960 with a new RCA 21AXP22. The replacement tube has the green color phosphors as opposed to the earlier light gray/white phosphors. The tube tests like new.

3....Also got a nice early model GE Portacolor. Set is in very nice shape.

4....And last but not least I got a very unusual 7JP4 set made by Automatic Radio. The information I have found indicates it is a model 710 and sold for $220 in 1948. The only examples of this set I have found were all table models, and this one is a console. At first I thought the cabinet may have been a home made one because the cabinet is rather cheesey. But I am now certain it was an original factory made cabinet.

So yesterday was a good day for collecting. Hope you enjoy the photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4931.jpg (90.0 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4932.jpg (67.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4926.jpg (68.2 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4937.jpg (72.3 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4935.jpg (70.1 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4940.jpg (86.5 KB, 93 views)

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com

Last edited by ohohyodafarted; 08-27-2015 at 07:10 PM.