Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:28 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
Agreed - the level of engineering that went into the PC chassis is evident in some of the materials I got from the closed Portsmouth plant. GE did tests on several different PC board materials - I have samples of some labeled "Phenol1 test, Phenol 2 test, etc. They also tried out some of the Hitachi and Sanyo Jungle chips, which they didn't (thankfully) place in their production sets. They were also using Mitsumi tuners, probably the best among all of the varactor tuners out there. That said, they blew it with the PM chassis - too much GE, too little engineering. What they wasted on getting VIR developed probably would have funded a whole lot of better improvements in their sets.
By the mid-1970's, GE was rebadging Crown, Goldstar and Shogyo radios and tape players. If the model number started with a number, it was imported. Their clock radios form the 70's and even into the 80s weren't all that bad. They imported the boards and assembled them in America - the clock radio cases were 100% US made.
Cheers,
I like the GE clock radios from the late seventies and eighties as they were solidly built and worked quite well. I look for pristine examples of them for my collection. I liked the styling of the TV sets but the cabinets always felt cheap. If you pick up a GE color TV you can hear the plastic creaking like crazy. The one notable exeption is the 12 inch black and white sets from the mid to late seventies, the ones with the colored cabinets, not woodgrain. They are built with very thick plastic and hold up very well.