Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Value of GE Portacolor Sets

In my years of collecting vintage TV's I only ever sold one, but with money getting tighter I'm now considering selling a couple of my prize pieces. They are two early GE Portacolor sets, one from 1966 (the first year of production) and the other from around 1968. The older one has VHF tuning only, making it an especially unique display piece - I once saw one in a Hellmanns mayonnaise commercial. Both sets work great, or did when I last had them running a few years ago.
What I'm wondering is, just what are Portacolors worth these days? I saw a much later one on Ebay several years ago (went for about $250), but haven't seen any more since. Are they really that scarce, or do people just not bother listing them?
Here are pictures of my two sets:

I would only consider selling these if I was sure I could get a good price.
Thanks for any advice.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

I suspect the VHF only one is a set designed for the Canadian market, as all TV's sold in the USA were to have built in UHF tuners as of 1964.

As far as value, it's hard to say. I guess it all depends on whoever is looking and what they're willing to pay. You could always list them on ebay, either with a reserve or make the starting price the least you'd be willing to take. If your conditions are not met, you still have the TV's and the only thing you'll be out of is the listing fees. I will tell you that just because one of these TV's brought $250 on ebay, does not mean the next one will. I've seen common $10 radios on ebay and two moneybags bidders would drive the prices up to insane levels and then, a month later, there would be an identical model that wouldn't even bring the $10 opening bid.

Back in the '90's, I used to find a lot of Partacolors. Most of them didn't work and the price range was between free and $5. Once fixed, I usually sold them for anywhere between $25-$40. Back then, I was not looking at these sets from a collector standpoint and neither were the people buying them from me. They were just another TV for me to fix and try to make a dollar. The people who were buying them from me were generally the type who didn't want to pay the extra money that I sold solid state sets for.

I don't think I've had, or even seen in person, a tube portacolor since about '97. And, it was one of the later ones from '76.

I think the reason we're not seeing them is because when their owners unearth them, they see them as just another obsolete junk TV and end up tossing them with no effort to sell or give them away. This is not only true of portacolors; but, of most other old tube sets, as well. I'm sure a lot of tube sets get donated to thrift stores; but, most of them don't even hit the sales floor and go to the dumpster because they either don't work or are considered too old to sell.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:51 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

I recall someone on here saying you can't give these things away...

Considering I had a working one given to me recently, that's probably accurate.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

I sold one on ebay about 3-4 years ago, it was a '74 model as I recall. Brought around $35. The VHF only model should stir up some interest. The market is limited, but there are some folks who are looking for them. Best to have it very clean and working. They do still turn up for free/cheap from time to time; the last one I picked up is a bare-bones '66 model, down and dirty but it works and was given to me.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have been watching them when they come up on ebay and they seem to go for 100+ lately.
List it and put a reserve for the minimum you will take for it. Even if it doesnt see it will give you a good idea what people are willing to bid it up to thus the value.
Audiokarma
Old 07-12-2010, 12:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-08-2021 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

How about a "Porta Color II" set?
Old 07-12-2010, 08:18 AM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

I still have my porta color that I bought new. It wasn't the best color set but it was the smallest at that time.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

A genuine Portacolor II (the early 70s model) should get a lot of interest among collectors. There are some folks out there who specialize in early solid state TV and some of them have deep pockets.

Alternate answer: They are barely worth the cost of shipping. To help you out, my address is...
Old 07-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Dammit, Bryan, I seen it 1st...MY address is 217 Circle Drive, Rogersville, TN, 37857...(grin)
Old 07-12-2010, 11:18 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
I suspect the VHF only one is a set designed for the Canadian market, as all TV's sold in the USA were to have built in UHF tuners as of 1964.
Agreed, or some sort of special-market version such as hotel/hospital. Sony and Motorola made institutional sets without UHF through the 80s.

Value? Whatever someone will pay. I've bought & sold them in the $40 range in the past 2 or 3 years.

Charles
Old 07-12-2010, 01:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

I remember some of those hospital sets still had the UHF tuner in the set; but, there was a plastic plug covering the hole where the UHF knob would be. On these hospital sets, the UHF position on the dial was the "off" position.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

I paid $50 off craigslist in like 2007 for mine a 1966...only because it was very very clean and worked, and was close by. Yes I overpaid but I really wanted one.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

I wonder if the OP is ever coming back...
Old 07-12-2010, 05:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
I wonder if the OP is ever coming back...
Good question. I see these kinds of post all the time on ARF. It's usually subjects like, "what's my '70's console stereo worth?" When everyone tells them that they'd be doing good to give it away, you never hear from the OP - no thanks, kiss my butt, or nothing. I think they get PO'ed when everyone does not chime in with excitement, saying, "Oh, that's a rare one of a kind stereo and you could easily get $10,000 for it".
Audiokarma