Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

My 2nd Trans-Oceanic Royal 3000 arrives tomorrow.

Purchased a Royal 3000 for parts, $35 dollars. The radio is actually not in bad condition but it is untested as it has no battery case, and person selling it does not have the Zenith power supply to plug into it. It has an intact handle, most of the chrome plating is in good shape except for a few bubbles on the front cover. I figure I can't loose, 11 Germanium transistor, if they are all good, the carrying handle, etc. What is going to be interesting however is when I plug my battery pack into it.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:03 AM
"Book em Dano!"

More than likely it will work. They are hard to test without the battery pack. The adapters are 12V DC 1/8 inch jack(like a earphone) with the tip negative. The chassis' have a positive ground. Opposite of what you expect, Using an adapter with a positive tip will burn up the output transistors and output transformer. They are easy to work on. I had to adjust the FM oscillator since it was off a bit. I used a factory manual but it was wrong but I figured it out. Very good radios and pick up a lot of distant stations.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

The big problem is the plug for the AC power supply is not a 1/8" (3.5mm) it is 3/32" (2.5mm) the plug is not a problem but you are not going to find a proper 12 VDC power supply with one at Radio Shack.

When it comes to looks the Royal 1000, to me, has the best styling of all of the SS Trans-Oceanics. It was also the last Trans-Oceanic Eugene F. McDonald, "The Commander" designed, he died in 1958. The Royal 1000 was styled after the Leica M3 a camera the "The Commander" returned with from a European tour in the mid' 1950's.

Last edited by transmaster; 11-21-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:12 PM
"Book em Dano!"

No doubt I got the size wrong. Mine was missing altogether and had to replace it with what I could get but it works
Old 11-21-2014, 02:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Waiting on the results and some pictures.
Audiokarma
Old 11-21-2014, 03:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL GUY View Post
Waiting on the results and some pictures.
And you will have them in a couple of hours.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

This Royal 3000 is in deed a parts unit, does not power up at all. some corrosion, front and back panel fairly beat up. I got exactly what I wanted out of it. The handle is intact and the Wave Rod antenna is straight. The tuning capacitor looks good which is what I was after, will clean it up and test it. Looks like most of the transistors will be good but will test them to see. The Wave Magnet looks great. All in all I got my moneys worth.