Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:28 AM
Living The Draper Ethos

Looking For A Roundie Near Cleveland

I've been looking for my first roundie here in the cleveland area, but have not been very lucky thus far. My post on craigslist has gotten nothing but replies for mid 80's fiberboard console TV's with digital tuners. What part of "circular screen" do people not understand? I guess if something isnt as square as a flat panel LCD it's a "round screen" now. Would anyone know of a good place to look for one near me, Or if anyone in the Cleveland area would have one they would be willing to sell to an aspiring collector? I Don't have a lot to spend, but could assure you the set would be well taken care of. I dont have much space, so a tabletop or consolette would be my only option. Thanks in advance

-Bryan
Old 06-17-2007, 12:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:15 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Call the area TV repair shops - some may have one or know of one that you could get. Also try any auction houses that hold estate auctions.

Good luck in the hunt!

Cheers
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 06-17-2007, 03:14 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Hit the "Antique Shoppes"....Especially the dingy, junky ones, in less-than-reputable neighborhoods.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Why didn't you bid on the one on Ebay that went for $103 today?? And another one up your way that went for about $70 two weeks ago??
Old 06-17-2007, 07:01 PM
Living The Draper Ethos

I'm trying to find one locally because I dont have alot of money to spend at the time, especially on shipping, which for an item of this size, surely cant be cheap. An early rectangular set would be ok too, as long as it wasn't completely solid state.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:04 PM
Living The Draper Ethos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Hit the "Antique Shoppes"....Especially the dingy, junky ones, in less-than-reputable neighborhoods.
Around cleveland, that would be Lorain Avenue, right on the near west side. They are usually so cluttered you can't see the floor or walls, and reek of mildew and cat pee. But, it might be worth a shot...
Old 06-17-2007, 09:03 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Those are PERFECT !! Especially if they're run by a little odd person of inderterminate age, ethnicity, sex, race, & who sort-of grunts instead of speaking, & has "different" ideas about hygene and/or cleanliness....If there is a question as to whether the proprietor is even from this PLANET, I'd think you've hit the jackpot...They've prolly got a dozen or so CT-100s stashed away...<grin>
Old 06-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Living The Draper Ethos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Those are PERFECT !! Especially if they're run by a little odd person of inderterminate age, ethnicity, sex, race, & who sort-of grunts instead of speaking, & has "different" ideas about hygene and/or cleanliness....If there is a question as to whether the proprietor is even from this PLANET, I'd think you've hit the jackpot...They've prolly got a dozen or so CT-100s stashed away...<grin>
Time to don my hazard suit and respirator, I'm going in.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

I wandered into a place like that last year. (well, I've been in a number of them!) This is a roadside flea market with tarps covering everything. The stuff on the bottom of the pile sorta rots into the ground, and they just keep piling more stuff on top. The woman who runs it is short, 80ish, with a strange look in her eye. Never married. No TV sets, but I did get a 60s RCA bias supply for $2.

Finding sets takes patience. It seems that every time I set out looking for one I never found it, but when I'm not paying attention I stumble upon one. They really can show up anywhere. Places I have found color roundies: the dump, the curb, classified ad, ebay, word-of-mouth, auction house, used furniture store, flea market, antique mall. I would agree that most people, outside us hobbyists, could not tell a 1950s TV from a 1990s TV, not even with a whole book of pictures. That's the danger in posting a want ad. I set up at a couple events each year where I show off some of my collection and I always get offers of some old TV set and it always works out that the thing isn't old enough to vote!
Old 06-21-2007, 01:32 PM
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsjonsey View Post
Time to don my hazard suit and respirator, I'm going in.
Hello Bryan!

Lorain is what I would recommend too.

If you ever see a "Cleveland get together" post feel free to join in.

Good luck!

Pete

Homer Simpson
Old 06-21-2007, 03:27 PM
mike g

I happen to have a roundie that is in working condition and in 3 threes i will be out that way ,
Old 06-29-2007, 09:16 AM
Living The Draper Ethos

Quote:
Originally Posted by radotvguy View Post
I happen to have a roundie that is in working condition and in 3 threes i will be out that way ,
Let me know if you're still coming out here soon. I'm still interested in the set.