Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:59 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
I recently lost an old NEC "Multisync" monitor I had for like 15 years. I really miss that thing. It had such beautiful contrast and geometry. I remember when I brought that home from Computer City (long gone now), and paid like $850 for it.

My old 486DLC just doesn't look the same on some 17" ACER LCD I replaced it with (was cheap....and I wanted to run that old 486 again to play "The 7th Guest")

The NEC was a loss.....The smoke was so bad I didn't even bother opening it up. I had to just get it OUT of the house at the time
Old 07-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Dang, and those work with older computers that put out a 15.75 KHz horizontal sync signal too, eliminating the need for a costly scan doubler.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:46 PM
johnny the raster master!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
Anyone here still using CRT Computer monitors ?
Ive been a CRT fan forever and cannot make the switch to LCD !

Recently I bought a Sony FW900 Monitor for $50 bucks locally.
I see on ebay these things sell for $500-$1000 !
If no one knows, this is a 24" 16:10 CRT flat panel Monitor.
Supposedly, it sold for $3500 new. Last made in 2004. Made in Japan.
It weighed 92 lb !
The picture quality was out of this world !

Heres a thread I found on it with all info/specs .
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=952788

That monitor lasted 2 years then when up in smoke 1 day when I turned it on.
It was a short in the tube that was not repairable. I sold it to someone locally for parts.

Heres a pic of it

I am now using probably just as good a 22" NEC FE2111SB monitor.
It has an amazing picture and I got it for cheap ! I also got a free one just for backup.
I have both the white and black casings.

http://reviews.cnet.com/crt-monitors...-20283601.html

I do!
I still use the whole commodore 64 setup 1702 monitor commodore 64
1541 floppy drive and casseste recorder

Looking for zenith cobramatic parts

-johnny the raster master!
Old 07-13-2013, 01:16 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Good for you Johnny. I assume that you're speaking of the tan-colored C64, which was my first computer. Heck, it was the first computer of just about everyone my age. I didn't have the monitor though, or the cassette drive. Also, I had to rock the power switch up and down a couple of times quickly to get the darn thing to come on. Bought it at a yard sale about 20 years ago, total snow job. I wasn't told anything of the problem with it. The guy probably thought it was totally dead. Also with it was a LOT of floppy disks, and a Commodore 1525 printer that was as slow as cold molasses and the ribbons were no longer available.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

a 20" NEC and at work a 13" compaq , i'm still surrounded by crts.
Audiokarma
Old 08-09-2013, 02:07 AM
<----Zenith C845

I had the tan C64 too (with cassette data recorder and 1541 disk drive, plus an MPS803 printer), back in the '80s; it was my first digital computer system. It is long gone now, as I got rid of it when I moved here in 1999 (no room in my apartment for two computers, as I had purchased a Windows 98 system when I moved here). I also used the C64 with an amateur radio packet modem from about 1989 until '99. I can't say I miss that system (my present Windows XP computer runs rings around it), as it had very little memory space (64k) and was slower than molasses in June, by today's standards, with a processor that ran well under 100 MHz; in fact, I think the C64's processor speed was in the single digits. But what could one expect from a system like this in the '80s, when home computers were still relatively new?

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

1mhz.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

I still have an NEC AccuSync 75F. But it seems I am going to have to retire it. I use LCD as my main monitor, but I use the Accusync on my secondary macintosh workstation which is a G4.

But its got so many hours on it, the caps are going. and there are hundreds if not thousands of them in that thing. Shame too because it still has an excellent picture. Aside from that, I got a 15" Trinitron kicking around here somewhere I had since new in the 90s. Dunno where it is though. its yellowed beyond cigarette tar as it was in a room that had constant sunlight and fluorescent fixtures.

Then I have a 12", or maybe a 13" trinitron thats on my old PPC workstation.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Old TVs are better!

For my main computer I use a new flat screen, however I still use the CRT monitors when I work on someones computer, doing upgrades, etc. The only reason I use the flat screen is that it gives me a lot more space on my desk. CRT monitors have a good picture and image, their just bulky. Where I work, they still use a CRT TV set with a camera to monitor the drive thru lane. CRTs are not dead, people just think they have to have the newest technology, thanks to all the advertising hype.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thats the bad thing with CRT monitors. they do take up ALOT of space, and are very heavy.

I like LCDs because they are small, BUT they are easy on my eyes. I am weird in the fact that I can see flickering much easier than the average person can. Even at 70hz the flickering bothers me. Once I got into LCDs, that went away. Although older LCDs I can see the flickering a tiny bit. I avoid the super high speed LCDs, such as 2ms and faster response times as I can see the flicker unless its a 120hz setup.

But staring into that flickering CRTs over the many years I have, its actually ruined my vision to the point if i look at monitor more than an hour, my vision gets blurry and out of wack for most of the day, even when I do take breaks and do something else. Basically, diagnosed with CVS, that I have to get special glasses for. Something I have not done yet.
Audiokarma
Old 02-17-2015, 11:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

If it works .Why bother dumping it.I still use them today.Those old Commodore monitors made great VCR video monitors.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was in Dick's Sporting Goods at the mall over the holidays and they had CRT monitor displays everywhere playing adverts and store specials. It was nice to see them there.I did notice they were using flat screen monitors for security in the store.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:59 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Wow thats nice..... In the mall where I live they only have stupid flat screen crap showing stuff...
Old 01-12-2016, 02:49 PM
markdi

I have a low hours sony hmd a440 that. I am going to recycle soon
I got it
soon. after lost. my house. then it sat in.storage for years
Old 01-12-2016, 06:46 PM
<----Zenith C845

Even though my C64 system is long gone (see my post on it earlier in this thread), I still have a Hewlett-Packard MX-70 CRT monitor sitting in my bedroom, unused. The monitor works, but the raster with no signal input has a bend in it, probably, even likely, due to failing capacitors. My main computer system (which I am writing this on) has an HP S-2031 20" flat-panel monitor, and the images on it look much, much better than even my MX-70 when the latter was new.

I still have my Win98 computer (IBM Aptiva), but it is stashed in my bedroom closet, unused and with nothing but the Windows 98 OS on the hard drive (I wiped it several months ago). Don't know why I'm keeping it, although it, like the MX-70 monitor, still works. Probably for sentimental reasons. By contrast to today's computer systems, which can be had for as little as $200, my IBM Aptiva system, not including the monitor and printer, cost me well over $1K when I bought it in late 1999. It came with a cheap CRT monitor that lasted me only about a year or so, then it quit; I replaced it with the HP MX-70.

I would not even think of using my old IBM Aptiva on today's Internet; that computer is much too slow (133 MHz processor speed, compared to my current PowerSpec box with its 2.23 GHz processor and just under 1 GB of RAM--that system can and will run rings around the IBM any ol' day in the year).

Note: PowerSpec is a house brand for PCs sold by MicroCenter, Columbus, Ohio.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 01-12-2016 at 07:20 PM.
Audiokarma