Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

First Inauguration colorcast

A propos of this week's events, does anyone know which presidential Inauguration was the first to be colorcast? I suspect it might have been Nixon's in 1969. It couldn't have been Ike in 1957 because on the 1958 WRC dedication ceremony tape, it's described as his first appearance on color TV from Washington. I've never seen color tape on JFK's 1961 inauguration, just the color film. For LBJ in 1965, I've seen a promo for NBC's coverage (in the station break on an episode of "Hullabaloo") that never says "in color," which they certainly would have.

Thoughts?
Old 01-19-2009, 01:24 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

I think you may be right
Edit - JFK's was certainly in B&W, and I think Johnson's was also.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:38 PM

By the way, I've never seen numbers on B&W camera sales, but I'm sure they continued during the TK-41 color years - and I'd guess they tanked with the introduction of Plumbicon color cameras, which would jibe with the 1969 date.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:40 PM
AK Member

I had the misfortune of being in D.C for the '73 Nixon inaugural and while it was all in color, NBC was so short on equipment/facilities that they had the WRC-4 mobile unit on the Mall down by the Washington Monument (with firture White House Press Secretary Ron Nessen...)... Lots of protest marches going on that day, as I recall. Including the "last" anti-Vietnam War march which was down by the Tidal Basin.

I'm sure Ed Reitan can give more details as to when the first inaugural telecast in color was.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Somewhere in my archives, Eisenhower was broadcast in color. They showed him first in B&W and then switched on to color and it impressed him to see himself in color!
Old 01-19-2009, 06:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

JFK's inaugural speech was telecast in b&w and filmed in color. However his inaugural parade was telecast in color on NBC. I believe NBC drove their color mobile units down from New York City for the event. Somewhere I have the NBC newspaper ads for their Kennedy inaugural coverage and they mention that their parade coverage will be in "living color." The WRC-TV color studios dedication in 1958
is when a button was pushed and the picture went from b&w to color. Pres. Eisenhower and Gen. Sarnoff of RCA both made remarks at the time.

-Steve D.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:04 PM

Wow, Steve, thanks for that info!
Old 01-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Speaker seeker.

Tomorrow's event will be the first time the inauguration can be considered something to take place in black and white.

Couldn't resist a lame joke when the door was that wide open.

Last edited by JohnVF; 01-19-2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: clarity