Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-10-2023, 12:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

OK, thanks.
I'll look into the vertical deflection board and see if there are any bad resistors in there or capacitors.

Although I would be kind of surprised that with this thing using mylar caps in most of the circuits that there would be any leaky capacitors causing any issues, but then again anything can happen in a 50+ year old TV...
Old 08-16-2023, 02:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

OK so I had ordered a couple of new Vertical Output/Oscillator Tubes for the TV because I wanted to see if that would make a difference in the operation of the vertical operation, and I installed a new 6LU8 tube into the TV and the TV did something it never did before which was that some of the components on the sweep section board started arcing against each other and then the Horizontal Output Tube was arcing between the grid cap and the High Voltage Cage.

The TV does have a fair amount of dirt and grime built up on the circuit boards themselves but the inside of the HV cage and the Picture tube itself are spotless which is why I said I thought it might of been a low hours set but the dirt and grime buildup on the boards was just from the fact that the TV was stored in the previous owner's garage for many years.

Would the dirt and grime buildup on the circuit board be the possible cause for some of the arcing I'm seeing inside the TV?
Old 08-16-2023, 05:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here's a photo of what the TV is doing right now.
Pardon the glare on the screen, the room I'm working on the TV in has two south facing windows which were creating some glare on the screen, and the color setting on the front of the screen was turned all the way down which is why there's no color right now (I want to try and get the vertical deflection and AGC issues straightened out before I concern myself with the color issues.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sylvania TV.JPG (113.5 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by vortalexfan; 08-16-2023 at 05:28 PM.