Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

I am taking one of my prized possesions out of storage!

This '64 Antionette was operating well enough for about 30 days straight like 2 years ago and one morn I turned it on and heard a small snap sound and the pic was out of sync. I expect one of the NOS capacitors I installed about 3 or 4 years ago went out. I had never gotten the horiz section perfect because I did not obtain miliampmeters and so I would leave the fly cage open to keep it cool. I suspected my 6JE6's were maybe a bit weak too. I have not gotten a tube tester yet. So, I got the most perfect 6JE6 I ever laid my eyes on the other day and last night I turned it on for the first time and here is what I am gonna fix...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0028.jpg (69.3 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0040.jpg (63.9 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0043.jpg (44.1 KB, 116 views)
Old 05-27-2011, 07:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

This might be a dumb question, but have you tried the AGC adjustment? Also, ringing in the video can be caused by the 3rd IF tube (even if a tester shows it having good emission/ no shorts/ no gas). Bill(oc)
Old 05-27-2011, 10:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Bill,
I did adjust AGC a bit but I will try again and check IF. I just assumed it would be one of the sections of one of the NOS capacitors I installed because the snap sound I mentioned happened like right when I turned the power on to the set before it had time to warm up to be a high voltage snap. Also, I have read here that NOS capacitors can often be defective or short lived.
Thanks,
John
Old 05-27-2011, 10:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

looks like agc to me as well, the retrace lines and sync could be due to clipping in the signal. Also try a different video source.

try a low power OTA uhf station.

try clamping the AGC with a variable DC source.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

as far as the snap sound, did you replace the supression cap across the line (if it was still there and not yet blown). Also check the thermistor, I dont know if they make sound but I often find them broken.
Audiokarma
Old 05-27-2011, 10:37 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

I wonder what others think about NOS capacitors? I would be concerned that they deteriorate on the shelf, and therefore it would be better to stuff a modern cap in the shell if you want to keep the appearance.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

check filter capacitors looks like ac getting into vertical sweep
Old 05-27-2011, 11:38 AM
sampson159

i had this issue on a ctc15.the rubber gasket on the controls to bezel was gone.it caused a horizontal bend and and a snap.not sue why but i replaced it and fixed issue.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

is a slow moving hum bar getting into the pic?

On the NOS, I too would not use them, at least not without a check out with a good caps tester. I often have no problems with the can cap in mid 60's sets. I dont know if its a storage/usage/pure luck but most of the time they are fine. I check them against new caps, often leakage is no worse than new ones. I do recommend a slow power up on the 1st use.

I was recapping a old set last week, replacing some papers, I always test what comes out (often leaky, but value is still determinalble) leave the cap tester at the value, double check to see if its right, THEN get a new cap and put it on the tester with out moving the knob that nulls the eye tube. The new cap should be close to the old, this saves me putting a factor of 10 diffrent cap due to my reading it wrong. After confirming the value I do a leak test (on the new cap) for the 1st time I had a brand new cap that was very leaky, would not open the eye at all even at much lower voltage. I grabbed another and it was fine (just making sure my cap tester had not pooped out).

Moral of the story is double check values going in, and test new parts going in.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Since you did hear a snap, it would be a good idea to check the CRT dag coating. Ungrounded or partially grounded dag can cause symptoms mimicking AGC and sync problems. oc
Audiokarma
Old 05-27-2011, 02:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

just to cover all the bases, wiggle tubes, if not done already, clean tube pins, I use a brass brush on the pins, spray with some electronic cleaner (the pins) and then insert and remove several times into the sockets to clean the sockets (dont just go spaying cleaner all over the socket, it gets everywhere when you do that). You can also use small dental brushes soaked with the same cleaner and work them into the tube sockets.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

This is a trip, looks like more than one issue. The 3rd picture looks like it could be leaky phase diodes or a cap. The 2nd looks like a leaky detector diode or IF tube. - have seen the mixer tube in the tuner cause stuff like this too. MAybe its a grounding issue lake mentioned causing noise to interfere. These issues can be very challenging to fix. Keep us posted
Old 05-27-2011, 08:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thank you very much everybody. I will return soon with all info and pics.
John